Whats your plan for all the leftover Turkey???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 3, 2013
DFW North Texas
I''m thinking about Black Friday Gumbo… 
439.gif

I didn't choose turkey this particular year but have often made a turkey and wild mushroom risotto afterward and that is delicious! Happy Friday!!!!!!!!!! And enjoy whatever you make!!!!!! Cheers! - Leah

Brined a 12#er with pops plus rosemary and a few other ing. Plus a pork but that brined in pops for 30 days or so and 4 hr. smoke Turkey just in oven. 23 people late not much left. They luuuuved it.

Brined n cooked 2 14 lb birds . Sliced b4 we went to my brothers for Thanksgiving. Glad i did as all i had left was the 2 carcasses. Picked up 2 roasted chickens at the grocery so i would have some meat. Chicken ,andoullie and okra gumbo  was on the menu for Sat.

I roasted the carcass, wing tips, and neck and made 12 quarts of turkey stock with chopped celery, onion, carrot, thyme, and the cloves from a head of garlic. I strained and filtered it twice then simmered and reduced it to 6 quarts. Some will be refrigerated for turkey and andouille gumbo next weekend, and the remainder will be frozen for later use.

Tonight I'm making Hachis Parmentier, a sort of refined French version of Shepherd's Pie, made in part with leftover turkey, gravy, and mashed potatoes.

Some turkey will be set aside for sandwiches later in the week, and the rest will be frozen.

Smoked scalloped spuds again with the left over turkey in it and maybe some mushrooms - that would be a good casserole

We weren't in town for TG because we were visiting relatives but I still brined then smoked a 17 lb'er on Wed before TG.  It was delicious and basically all leftovers except for what we ate Wed night and Thursday morning before we hit the road. 

Legs and carcass go in the freezer to make a big pot of turkey soup we'll make this weekend.  We set aside a couple pounds for dinners, lunches, sandwiches, etc.  The rest we made into big turkey salad with salt, pepper, mayo, sweet pickles, sweet relish, sweet pickle juice, and honey crisp apples.  The smoke flavor really adds a nice kick to the recipe.  That salad disappeared in two days!  

Usually our local grocer sells leftover turkeys for peanuts.  Not this year, and I was looking forward to picking up a few more to stick in the freezer.  I heard there was an issue with turkeys not reaching sell weight before TG.  That could explain what happened.  If that was the case turkey at Christmas could be cheap!

made about a gallon of turkey stock last Saturday afternoon with leftover parts, took about 4 hours. Last Sunday made turkey noodle soup with about half the stock, froze the rest.

ate turkey noodle soup for lunch and dinner for like 3 days.  I froze the Thanksgiving ham bone,  will be using that to make ham and bean soup when I get in the soup mood again.

Turkey pot pie is the best! Radio Gal made one a few days ago. Turkey veggies, new potatoes and mushrooms... Simply great. Turkey, dressing, taters, gravy over toast was had with first leftovers this year.

Made a turkey hash on saturday morning. Sautéed diced onions, potatoes, and garlic in a bit of bacon grease (left over from making bacon). After the potatoes had softened up I tossed in a few handfuls of diced smoked turkey and some old bay and let that warm up. Served the hash with a fried over-easy egg on top for each plate. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky