What's your 'other' hobby?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I collected PEZ dispensers--I had an unbelievable collection --I needed money bad so I sold them (for $30,000 !!!). I also was a flight instructor for Hot-Air balloons. My age caught up with me and I had to quit that. Now--it is traveling in my motorhome and camping a lot.....always in search for whole-fried catfish restaurants.
P.S.( I have a baby copper moonshine still that I love to make a little each Christmas and pour in small jars with cherries for my Christmas gifts :emoji_blush: )

Last edited:
gave up hunting cpl years ago. picking the veggie garden back up. try cooking and getting better, some meals fall short. enjoy making my on stuff, head board for bed, medicine cabinet, other wood projects. got into metal many years back, made my own smoker and recently a cider press. the press is handy for my last habit, beverage making.

other than working and burning meat on the grill/smoker...? I like to deer hunt (altho the crohns has cut back on that for the last couple of years) I have 3 grand daughters that keep Pops (as they call me) busy.
--it is traveling in my motorhome and camping a lot.....always in search for whole-fried catfish restaurants.
P.S.( I have a baby copper moonshine still that I love to make a little each Christmas and pour in small jars with cherries for my Christmas gifts :emoji_blush: )
Come to Mississippi for the Belzoni catfish festival. They have catfish in every form and fashion you can think of. And how do I get on your Christmas list? :emoji_laughing: :emoji_wink:
Jim

Just set up my new toy.

20210316_075532.jpg

Using this Planemate. I have not golfed much in last 10 years and this thing seems to be really helping get my swing correct. Boy I need to lose another 30 lbs to fit into this thing! I was going to post pic of me in this thing and think it got me motivated again looking at it. I have lost 40 from 290 to 250 but need to keep going. This retirement think made it a lot harder!

uyuu.jpg

Last edited:
I go through hobbies. Used to like computer gaming and building my own gaming computers. The last one built was 20 yrs ago and good for a doorstop now.
Salt water aquariums and Corals. Tired of that in a couple of years. Too much maintenance.
Scale modeling. Ran out of display space.
Ammo re-loading. Don't shoot much anymore and have all the ammo/makings (and guns) I'll ever need.
Motorcycle cruising. I may sell it this year. A 68 yr old, 150# man with bad knees and a 600# cruiser don't mix :-(
Since I retired I've picked up oil painting. studio.jpg
We'll see how long that lasts LOL!
Reading, gardening and cooking will always be around.

Motocross Racing ... Been doing it since 1983... A buddy of mine (who still rides) once asked me back in 83 if i wanted to go with him to a race... I said "What the hell, I'm into any kind of racing that has a green flag and a checkered flag"... I went and "got hooked" the first night... I tell everybody I want to kick his ass as I haven't missed a weekend since and it's cost me ALOT of money... LOL...

Let me say though... I never raced.. To much bodily injury plus I had to go to work on Monday mornings... I turned wrenches (mechanic) for him until I met my wife... She has a couple of grandsons (one I told about in the baseball thread)... I got both of them into racing when they were 4 years old... The family of one of them moved to Tn. and he quit riding and got into baseball and ended up playing for the Mets (baseball thread) ... The other one kept racing until he was 14 and his parents got a divorce.. I payed the whole bill for the last two years and couldn't do it anymore... so we retired...

That's when I got into Smoking.. Since I was a competitive person I ended up doing some BBQ Comps. (still do) ...

Well... 10 years later... Now the grandson has a good job and said "I think i'm gonna buy a bike and start riding again... OH NOOOOOO I said ... LOL... He did... we got back into racing again for a few years ... He is now retired from racing again as he now is engaged and they are building a house...

But he says... "It won't be long and we'll have children and I will be buying them dirt bikes" .... OH NOOOOOO I said again ... LOL...

But all in all... It was fun and we had a blast traveling the country and racing ... Maybe again some day ...

I was attending a music school since I was in elementary school and for next 6 years. Three times a week, 2 hours lesson. Loved playing piano but hated going to school and spent another 2 hours daily for music practice at home... while my friends were playing soccer, basketball and other games.... Played in band back in my former country. Playing keyboard (arranger) at home daily and enjoy this!
IMG_3136.jpg

Fishing (boat, wader, ice), hunting, gardening ( not very good at ) and would like to get back into golf if my back would allow it after surgery 2 1/2 yrs ago.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Friday night out with the wife wherever she wants to go,
cycling the KATY and other trails,
golfing,
taking care of our farm - this is not a hobby but rather a labor of love
and...
lately...well...for the past 5 years or so...singing in choir (baritone/tenor)

other than working and burning meat on the grill/smoker...? I like to deer hunt (altho the crohns has cut back on that for the last couple of years) I have 3 grand daughters that keep Pops (as they call me) busy.

Come to Mississippi for the Belzoni catfish festival. They have catfish in every form and fashion you can think of. And how do I get on your Christmas list? :emoji_laughing: :emoji_wink:
Jim
I am looking that festival up. Wife is from Raymond (Jackson) MS

Jim
GEEZ--It has been canceled this year

Millberry Millberry I saw that after I posted it. But it might be worth keeping on your "bucket list". I've never been but everyone I've talked to said it was worth the trip.
Jim

Reactions: Millberry
Other than Hunting & Fishing, and most other Sports:
Chainsaw Carving was my favorite hobby, until my health no longer allowed it:

Why They Call Me "Bearcarver":
A Bear from Log to Finish

View attachment 489531

Those look amazing. There is a shop near me that does the same thing but yours look much better. Just confused about one thing. Chicago Bears, Cal Golden Bears, Baylor Bears, UNC Bears or Hershey Bears.

Reactions: JLeonard
Well I've been playing the bass guitar for about 45 yrs or so. Been in every juke joint from ALA to FL and lived to tell about lol. Playing mainly at church for the last 20yrs with an occasional fill in gig if friends get in a jam. Mud bogged for 10 yrs or so every weekend around Ga and SC. A family event that actually help me find my love of cooking/smoking for others. A friend gave me a red Brinkman and would smoke 2 butts every weekend for our crew. Element burned out about the same time my oldest son joined the Navy so I retired.

Attachments

• 79165-MMS-1519948820613-attachment1-CBTN9.jpg
    79165-MMS-1519948820613-attachment1-CBTN9.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 29
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky