What's your occupation?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

You''ve come to the Right Place!! 
icon_rolleyes.gif

Welcome!!

Bear
Are you implying some of us are beyond borderline? 
rolleyes.gif

Journeyman commercial painter. Been painting for 10 years now. We mostly paint new construction schools and commercial buildings. Currently painting a middle school, high school, and dinosaur museum in Moab Utah. My wife works for the drivers license division.

24+ yrs Over the road truck driver. Love driving and seeing the country. Studied a few years at a small culinary school, had to leave when I ran out of money.

I'm retired since Dec '08.  That's when the smokin' bug hit me in NC.  Now, I'm in Florida and starting again. I was attempting to smoke for just the wife and myself, on a small grill but ended up with too many other folks drooling to the point that I had to feed them too.  So, I have now finished modding my OK Joe's Highland and seasoned it.  Once this rain lets up, I have an 8+lb butt to smoke and four racks of ribs.  This Highland seems to be much higher quality than the CharGriller off set that I had to deal with in NC.  Smoking in the cold weather was more of a challenge up there and I really had to work on sealing it up and insulating it.  I pretty much gave up smoking in frigid weather.  Now, all I have to contend with is the rainy season.  If I start early in the day, I can get enough smoke before it starts raining and then finish the cook up in the oven.  If I can get four to six hours of smoke on the meat, no one knows I had to use the oven.

Reactions: boboso
IT Professional for the State of Texas for almost 20 years. Before that did the same thing in the health care field for 15 years.. Also part time professional musician but don't do that much nowadays. Play the bass, guitar, 5 string banjo, & fiddle. Like to do construction & have been my own contractor on our home remodel projects. Cancer warrior, full time. Always liked to cook, & grill. Got interested in the smoking side of things while watching a lot of cooking shows while recovering from surgery & chemo. Love this hobby! Eligible to retire from State of Texas in 16 months at sweet old age of 60. Plan to do a lot more of it

Last edited:
I head up a digital program for a commercial Wallcovering company. We print large format murals and custom art panels - mainly for commercial projects. Been with them since '86

Work in the sauna in Mesa Arizona as a Construction Inspector for a local school district. Who can remember June 26.1900? 122 in Phoenix, grounded the airlines from taking off.......

Love to grill and smoke and the info gathered here is priceless...Thanks to all!!!
grilling_smilie.gif

Work in the sauna in Mesa Arizona as a Construction Inspector for a local school district. Who can remember June 26.1900? 122 in Phoenix, grounded the airlines from taking off.......
Love to grill and smoke and the info gathered here is priceless...Thanks to all!!!:grilling_smilie:
Don't think it was 1900. Lived in Mesa for 15 years or so, don't miss it one bit.

I like when I am asked my "occupation", because I can say that I'm "unoccupied", like a house with nobody living in it. I started my career as an electrical and instrumentation project engineer and ended it as an IT systems engineer. Along the way I married an engineer, and we saved some money and retired early to a frugal existence in a rural paradise. My main job now is turning dead trees into firewood and then loading them into the woodstove during the Winter.

Reactions: hardcookin
I like when I am asked my "occupation", because I can say that I'm "unoccupied", like a house with nobody living in it. I started my career as an electrical and instrumentation project engineer and ended it as an IT systems engineer. Along the way I married an engineer, and we saved some money and retired early to a frugal existence in a rural paradise. My main job now is turning dead trees into firewood and then loading them into the woodstove during the Winter.

That sounds awesome! Congrats, not many people have the self-discipline to be able to get there!! I wish I had that!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky