What's your occupation?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Currently A Sara Lee Sanitizer 1..make Sure Your Pies Dont Have Any Funny Stuff In Them..take Alot Of Pride In That..formaly Hold A Class A Cnc Rating In Sheet Metal Fabracation..currently Hold A Bs In Cunninary Arts

Bummer... I know how ya' feel my friend. They offed me 10 years ago...
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

Homebrew, I don't see how you could possibly have time to smoke meat. My pastor is about the busiest person I have ever known. A very noble profession, but the reward certainly isn't in the pay or the hours!

Retired from AT&T nine years ago. Did new fiber route planning. Now enjoy golf, deep sea fishing, smoking and now trying to get into woodworking. As much as I enjoy smoking, I have to admit that it's not conducive to weight control. But I do dearly love the product. Doing ribs tomorrow. And by the way this has been a very interesting thread. Thanks for posting.

13 years in the auto industry for me. Started out washing cars at a Pontiac dealership. Did that for 1 year. Ended up as a service writer at same dealership. Left there and became service manager at a Chevrolet dealership for 11 years. Now selling new and used cars for the same dealership for the last year. It's a job. "Bout all I got to say bout that"

I have been in the same field for over 30 years...

It's name keeps changing.

Electronic Accounting Machines
Data Processing
Information systems
Information Technology.....ect

GranBubba

Ops Manager / Inside sales /purchasing agent/janitor /shipping and receiving .

We are a small company so we have to do alot to keep things rolling. We build robots and widgets of the security industry. cypressworld.com for anyone who is interested.

I am a Support Technician and Installations Spe******t at a small software company. We design and sell complete telemessaging systems for Answering Services. I install the systems and support the transition from an old system to ours, which means I travel a lot. When I'm not traveling, I'm in tech support.

BustedLuckBarBQ;127400 said:
and ended up with one of the best jobs in the world.... A contractor... testing military vehicles and weapon systems.... we put systems through really tough tests and make sure they work properly and are safe before they are fielded to the troops.... super fun!!! heres a vid of one of the tests :]

How do I sign up for that job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well was in USMC til 91, lived in NC for a few years doing property management, wound up back in PA. Have had a job for the past 14+ years working for the Vanguard Group, which is an investment co. Started out on the phones and worked up to a Network Security Analyst. Been doing that for about the last 6 years. Also a wife, mom, van driver, chef, marksmanship instructor for youth program, Commander at VFW, amatuer karaoke singer, lover to one, friend to many, but we have a great group of tight friends that are like our brother and sisters!

That's why I have an electric smoker. I usually have it loaded while I am writing sermons and other desk jobs. Our house is right across the street from the church so it's not a big deal to keep an eye on it. There have been a couple of times when I've had to ask my wife or daughter to keep an eye on things while I went to be with someone who just had a heart attack or something similar.

Okay, so you mean there are professionals out there?
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

Wow Shell, you are one busy woman!

Well, I don't really work. Retired after 36 years of professional railroading.
I do some locomotive consulting and training with small railroads.
I started out as an apprentice machinist, became a machininst working in a major railroad locomotive shop in the Ozarks doing locomotive inspection, maintenance, repair and overhaul. After 13 years, the lightbulb came on and I moved into the exempt area. Then I got moved to Minneapolis. After 11 great years there I moved to Kansas City as assistant manager of mechanical training at BNSF Railway's Technical Training Center located on the campus of Johnson County Community College in Overland Park, KS. I retired as manager of a locomotive reliability center (the first of it's kind) which takes the very worst performing locomotives in the railroad's fleet and thoroughly troubleshoots their problems and makes needed repairs to keep them pulling freight instead of in a shop for repair. I survived two mergers.
I also spent 5 years as a police officer.
Now I smoke when I can, bass fish for money (tournaments), ride my Harley as much as possible, have an FFL, collect and play with guns, hunt, and do any assigned "honeydo" tasks. I am also a part time pain in the butt, per peculiarjane.
Oh yeah, and I just took on the SMF Events Coordinator job as a sideline. And I have a couple other things "in the works". Gotta keep busy.
wink.gif

And since Jane is now a certified BBQ judge, we plan to hook up the toyhauler and get around to several BBQ comps. this year.

Been in Indstrial sales for more than 18 years. Love it some times and hate it others. Started when I was 25, man along time ago. Its a lot of pressure as I work on 100% commision. Sell "high tech. plumbing" I think some of you have heard of Swagelok. My top customers are involved with fuel cell R&D. Basically I'm a pea-on.

Ok, grew up a web-foot farm boy on an irrigated farm in SE Montana. Realized there was no $$ in farmin' (that was important to me then), so got a degree in nursing and worked. But I claim to be a farmer first and last.

Started my nursing career as a pediatric nurse at a community hospital in Billings MT. Decided to see the world and joined the AF in 1979, saw Texas, North Dakota, Crete Greece, Washinton DC, Illinois, and finally Idaho. Along the way spent temporary duty in England (Desert Storm), Bahrain (Op Southern Watch), and numerous short trips to about half of these 50 states. Worked a whole bunch of different nursing jobs, inpatient, outpatient, ICU, special projects, IT (yep, that IT) and finished as Commander of two different hospital squadrons. Retired after 21 years.

Now I do that contracting thing with the Feds, working on various healthcare related IT programs as consultant, project manager, program support, etc.

And, at 54 years of age, am starting my own IT consulting company. Think I'm nuts, but the money in farmin' hasn't gotten any better.

On the side I garden, fish, hunt, keep bees, make sausage and smoke meat. Oh yeah, keep my wife entertained with my hobbies.

Well I've worked for the Navy in one form or another most of my life. Four years acive duty 73 to 77 and 18 years reserve duty 78 to 96 as an Interior Communications Electrician. Basically anything electrical was mine including, switchboards, monitoring equipment, elevators, gyro compasses and fire control.

I've been a civil servant since 87. Started as an electrician, then fire alarm repair then crane and elevator test and inspector for 20 years. I transfered to engineering about a year ago, currently a civil engineering tech/engineer in training. For the most part I do CAD work, building re-design/rehab, floor plans, explosive safety maps, dredge design calcs, maps and stuff like that. Often I draw pictures on a computer to illustrate to high ranking military folks how dumb some their ideas are about how and where to build things and back it up with pages of calculations they only pretend to understand anyway - you know baffle them with bullchips!
wink.gif

Mark that's a really great job you got there!

But when I did work it was for the Southern Pacific Railroad which was bought by the Union Pacific Railroad... My jobs ranged from clerk to department manager over a span of 35 years. Was transferred 9 times to 4 different states at various location... Been retired now for 8 years and I never looked back... We RV about 6 months out of the year all over the country... I have less time now than I ever did when I was working...

Worked NY State Corrections for 4 years and Got Lucky and got a Job with the Dept of Environmental Conservation as a Police Officer the the last 16 years.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky