Whats your favorite all around bbq sauce???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If I grab any old plain bbq sauce off the shelf its Kraft Original. You can often get a small bottle for like $1-$1.50.
Other than being sweet it's pretty standard and doesn't get to crazy like many of the others. It isn't even as sweet as a lot of the others.
In these parts of TX Head Country is another option that you crab off the shelf if it's there. That is better but cost more.

I've learned that when doing crock pot cooking even the nastiest bbq sauce breaks down and mellows out over 8 hours of crockpotting so I buy whatever is on clearance for that, BUT for cheap and all around decent off the shelf Kraft Original.

NOW, with all of that out of the way none of those come close to Rudy's and that style of TX bbq sauce. It is half as sweet but still a good amount of sweetness. It is savory, and has a little kick to it on top of a very good flavor profile that has enough of other stuff to go well with bbq. I think they put a touch of oregano in it and some other stuff that in small amounts adds so much character while still being subtle!

I love Rudy's sause!!!

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Sweet baby rays Raspberry Chipolte on the side,hard to find but like it the best for a sweet BBQ sauce

I'm no gourmet but I prefer mixing my own sauce using commercial products as a base. (I do avoid Kraft and Smart & Final's cheap brand...just not enough foundation to build on.)
You can do a lot playing around with apple, pineapple, or orange juice, prune juice (seriously!), Real Lemon juice, cold-brew coffee, honey, brown sugar (good thickening agent if you're getting too thin), vinegars, horseradish mustards, leftover brine from pickles, jalapenos, green olives, or black (beware salty), sriracha sauce (for heat), garlic salt (shake in so you don't get clumps), bourbon (of course!), and even Wrights liquid smoke.
I like to squeeze from a bottle, then brush, so I avoid chunks (like dried onion, which I love) which clog the bottle.
Certain things like yellow mustard, mayonnaise, soy, and worcestershire sauce I avoid just because I've gotten unpredicted results with them, even though I know they're used in a lot of great sauces.
I mix about 2 qts at a time, then add to my 8 oz squeeze bottle before each cook. That allows me a little last-minute tailoring, e.g. lemon and orange juice for chicken or coffee and bourbon for beef.
What else do you DIY'ers add?

I absolutely love the sticky fingers Memphis original
1650568016282.png

I like my sauce really sweet, Blues Hogs makes a couple of different variations and their original is sweet and by for my favorite sauce.
Blues Hog competition is very good. It’s a mixture of their original sauce and their Carolina red sauce. Delicious.

I've been taste and texture spoiled by SBR. I've tried lots of different sauces, and tried making my own, but I keep comparing them to SBR. I do doctor SBR with Costco Canadian whiskey and peach or apricot preserves.

SBR regular.
Sonnys sweet.

For years all I would eat was the Sonnys. Sam's club carries a quart of it for +-5$. Back in the day before I discovered SBR I would go through the restaurant and pay the 5-6$ for the smaller bottles. I am quite good with either now that I can get the Sonnys for the cheap, though SBR has a slight edge to it.

I will doctor (thin) both for pulled pork with a little acv, a shot of yellow mustard, some crushed red pepper flakes, black pepper, and a little dark fruit juice. BlackberryAcai from Northlands is pretty good. I don't add much of the vinegar or the juice, just enough to thin it.

Last edited:
I can't nail it down to one sauce.

I like Bone Suckin Sauce to glaze ribs.

I like Blues Hog Tennessee Red.

I use SBR's and KC style sauces for doctoring canned baked beans.

I've have acquired a taste for several of the French's Cattlemen's sauces.

I also like Woody's mild sauce and rub a lot. They used to be available at WallyMart and Sam's but have sold recently and now I don't know where to buy except to order.

Head Country is good if you want a less sweet sauce.

YUM Sauce. My faves:
KOSMOS Q COMPETITION
Blues Hog Original
Sweet Sauce O' Mine Original
Killer Hogs The BBQ Sauce
Jeffs

Depends on what I am putting it on. I like Jeffs a lot, but I used it for too long and like trying new stuff.

Those of us that use a well-known commercial product (like Sweet Baby Rays,) as either a homemade "base" or as a ready-to-go product, should look for it in the gallon size...it's a lot cheaper that way. Grocery stores often have it in the super-size aisle, or even amazon or walmart.com can deliver it for a good price. I always have a bottle in the back of the top shelf of the 'fridge and fill a small bottle from it after each cook.

I will damn near try any barbecue sauce but my favorite is the carolina bbq sauce that I made.

Currently Jeff’s. Just like rubs, usually prefer homemade.
Not a big fan of SBR, but I bought a damn gallon of the stuff off Sam’s so gonna have to do some doctoring on it. Daughter‘s family does like it tho, so maybe take it over there.
There was a ‘Memphis’ style I tried/liked once, but now can’t recall the brand.

I'm a big fan of killer hogs rubs ("the rub",and A.P. rub) matter a fact just ordered 5lbs of each however their bbq sauce not so much... So looking for good sauce. Made my own in the past and not interested in that. Dont like it too sweet.
thanks
when i don't make my own, SBR honey, but it's sweet. I keep a bottle of Carolina home brew(Vinegar based), but only for pulled pork.. I also found a copy cat recipe for SBR which i can tweak. I f i get lazy or forgetful i send mama to the sto to get Sweet Baby rays honey. tht is my rib finishing sauce. I also don't buy packaged rub mixes. its just too easy to make and keep in a cheese shaker. Also throw together a batch of Alabama white , for certain cooks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky