What's Your 20?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
This has been brought up before without any positive results, but I thought I would try again.

Several years ago Bearcarver Bearcarver and I were frustrated by the fact that most members here on SMF do not include their geographic location when joining as new members. For that matter many long-time members also do not have their location included in their profile.

At that time this created a discussion from "It's none of anybody's business where I live," to government surveillance trying to "Big Brother" us, or scammers trying to steal our identity . . . Yikes!

I think it would be nice to have at least a general location for a member when reading their threads or communicating with them. I chose to be a bit more specific in my profile, but "Pittsburgh Area" or "Western Pennsylvania" would have sufficed to give a flavor of my location.

Mine is:

BandCollector
OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Master of the Pit · 73 · From Mt. Lebanon, PA (South Hills of Pittsburgh)
Joined Feb 4, 2009

Just saying,

John

I remember that, John!!
We don't want to tell people to make it easy for them to be found, but it would be nice to know what part of what state are they from. Then we could derive from that the approximate Altitude, and what the usual weather is.
Personally I like to know the age of someone asking the question, but it's not as important, for those Ladies who don't want to tell us their age.
This is not a Demand---Just asking.
Note: My location & Age are under My Avatar.

Bear

Salt Lake City area in Utah here. kinda like my handle.

If anyone is concerned about their personal info like address, phone etc. You have to get on to white pages.com (pretty sure that was the site) and have your self and people you care about removed/opt out. its a process but its worth it. I had an employee send me a screen shot of my info on that site. it 100% accurately gave my home address/address history, phone etc. She just googled names and it was all there. its horrifying!

Had my location correctly as Wilmington NC but I live about a whopping 12’ above sea level and updated my birthday to just turned 36 on Nov 22. I agree knowing approximate location and elevation can absolutely be helpful! My profile has been updated accordingly

The age should automatically change, if your Birthday is in your Profile.
I can't believe how young a lot of you Rascals are!!!

Bear

General location ? Heck I have the house number of some of these guys . Lol .
Besides sausage making knowledge , my spelling and geography has improved since I joined here !
I like to mouse over the avatar and know where people are from . Then if you mouse over the area or town , you can read some history on that location .
I understand if someone is cautious about it , but it's nice to know .

It's in my profile, Hamden, CT, home of the Sleeping Giant ;) Btw, didn't location previously appear right under our names without having to click on one's profile?

I have a google free name and really like it that way.... identity theft is a real thing and birthdays and addresses can make it much easier.... just me but general is much better...

On the big bro side, he knows where you are done to a few feet if you have a phone..... if you want to be freaked out start talking about a tool you need or a candy you crave in the room with a smart TV and your phone next to you..... the result will freak you out....it only takes a few hours before the adds start showing up in your browser.......

I am in Idaho at about 4500 ft.... I’m old enough to to have watched the Rascals, but young enough to have many year of work before me......

Reactions: Fueling Around
I remember that conversation.
It sure helps if you give advice if you know where the location is.
I mean you would not give the same advice to someone in Florida or Texas that you would give to someone in Minnesota. Especially in the winter.
Al

General location sure does help it's hard to give advice sometimes as others have said. I don't know why age would matter it's not like I'm going to give someone 20 any different answer than I would someone 40 or 60 so not sure why age is important

Reactions: yankee2bbq
I have a google free name and really like it that way.... identity theft is a real thing and birthdays and addresses can make it much easier.... just me but general is much better...

On the big bro side, he knows where you are done to a few feet if you have a phone..... if you want to be freaked out start talking about a tool you need or a candy you crave in the room with a smart TV and your phone next to you..... the result will freak you out....it only takes a few hours before the adds start showing up in your browser.......

I am in Idaho at about 4500 ft.... I’m old enough to to have watched the Rascals, but young enough to have many year of work before me......
A lot of folks don't realize that with a cell phone someone somewhere knows exactly where you are, especially if you have bluetooth enabled.
One of my wife's daughters got her an "Alexa" for her birthday a couple of years ago and we never took it out of the box.
We think we have the microphone disabled on our TV but who really knows?
Heck, I'm so paranoid I have a piece of electrical tape over the camera/mike on my laptop. No joke.

• Wow
Reactions: Fueling Around
A lot of folks don't realize that with a cell phone someone somewhere knows exactly where you are, especially if you have bluetooth enabled.
One of my wife's daughters got her an "Alexa" for her birthday a couple of years ago and we never took it out of the box.
We think we have the microphone disabled on our TV but who really knows?
Heck, I'm so paranoid I have a piece of electrical tape over the camera/mike on my laptop. No joke.

Allot of people feel the same. I take the usual precautions. But my location is on my profile. I'm just not that concerned with that. Newark NY. Home of stupid high taxes and beautiful country.

Allot of people feel the same. I take the usual precautions. But my location is on my profile. I'm just not that concerned with that. Newark NY. Home of stupid high taxes and beautiful country.
Yeah, I don't worry about it here.
In all my travels working, I've only been to New York once (not the city). We came across Canada from Ann Arbor, MI through Buffalo to a car show in Watkins Glen.
It is a big, beautiful state and it's a shame that more folks don't realize that it's more than NYC.

Yeah, I don't worry about it here.
In all my travels working, I've only been to New York once (not the city). We came across Canada from Ann Arbor, MI through Buffalo to a car show in Watkins Glen.
It is a big, beautiful state and it's a shame that more folks don't realize that it's more than NYC.

Very true. And Watkins Glen is amazing. I've gone to the Zippo antique races. Great times! Did you check out the park there? Buffalo is nice in some areas. But, from there. It is only a short drive to Niagara Falls.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky