What's with these car lead times?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I bought my 2020 Tacoma in late November of 19. Timing couldn't have been better.
good timing. Ive been taking my 4Runner in every 6 months for service and the Toyota dealers lot is empty. the first time i saw this it was shocking. I talked to a sales guy and he said every car that arrives has already been purchased. No stock on hand. I think that started in 2020...

My usual dealership used to have upwards of 100 vehicles. Now they have about 12. All high end $$. Most of what gets to the lot are already sold as well.

Automobiles, Tractors, Utility Vehicles, Outboard Motors, Commercial type lawnmowers all have said to be affected by the "chip shortage" Prices on those things seem to have all taken a big hike in price as well. The used prices of these have also gone nuts seems they want what it cost brand new a year or two ago for 5-10 year old stuff with high miles or hours

good timing. Ive been taking my 4Runner in every 6 months for service and the Toyota dealers lot is empty. the first time i saw this it was shocking. I talked to a sales guy and he said every car that arrives has already been purchased. No stock on hand. I think that started in 2020...

There was so much inventory they HAD to show me the truck I wanted.The financing package was a no-brainer and the trade-in value on my 04 sealed it.Timing truly can be everything.

I ordered a Maverick back on Christmas Eve. I called the dealership where I ordered it last week. He told me I'm on page 2 of his 4 pages of orders. He estimates it's going to be another 4 months for it to come in.
This is crazy.
I'm gonna buy a few shares of F stock this week now that I think about it.

I ordered a Maverick back on Christmas Eve. I called the dealership where I ordered it last week. He told me I'm on page 2 of his 4 pages of orders. He estimates it's going to be another 4 months for it to come in.
This is crazy.
I'm gonna buy a few shares of F stock this week now that I think about it.

I won't be the least bit surprised if I don't get mine till spring. Which is fine. One less winter on it. But. I'm already buying goodies for it! LED bulbs for the reverse lights. And a tailgate assist strut for starters.

Reactions: bdawg
Judy has been after me to get rid of my Mustang & get another truck. We have had trucks all our life, and she wants her truck back. I’m thinking about just buying a used F-150, & she can use that & I can keep my Mustang.
Al

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Judy has been after me to get rid of my Mustang & get another truck. We have had trucks all our life, and she wants her truck back. I’m thinking about just buying a used F-150, & she can use that & I can keep my Mustang.
Al
Until you see the price of a used F150 currently, you might think otherwise.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I orderd a 2022 Silverado 3500 may 18th. Picked it up November 24th. I traded a 2019 f350 with 38k miles. My ford stickered for $45,700, I PD $42,500. Dealer gave me $41,500 in trade. They sold it in less then a week. Was listed for $49,900. The only HD's on the lots around my area were regular cabs, or the top of the line models that stickered for 80k+.

I orderd a 2022 Silverado 3500 may 18th. Picked it up November 24th. I traded a 2019 f350 with 38k miles. My ford stickered for $45,700, I PD $42,500. Dealer gave me $41,500 in trade. They sold it in less then a week. Was listed for $49,900. The only HD's on the lots around my area were regular cabs, or the top of the line models that stickered for 80k+.

Yeah, it is crazy. That the dealers will do this with giving you these trade in amounts. And still wait to receive the trade after 4 plus months. Really makes you wonder. I made it clear that when the Maverick showed up. There could be a couple thousand miles on it. Or more. On the Subaru. They weren't concerned. Because they dropped 2000.00 on my trade because of this. That being said. If the car I wanted was on the lot. Then I could have traded for only 3000.00 less then what I paid new.

Dad just traded in the van they had gotten for mom to make it easier for her to get in and out of, she's been gone for almost 2 years, so maybe it was 4 or 5 years old...got what he paid for it. Traded it for a 2021 Dodge Durango...only because they had no 2022s. Have to say, he looks pretty classy driving around in a new vehicle at 86 years old! :emoji_blush:
We have 3 trucks, a 99 expedition and a 2012 Impala with just over 100,000 miles...think I'll keep these!

Ryan

Reactions: Steve H
Al
Al, I'd get rid of my wife before I got rid of that car, and I'm not even a Ford guy. :emoji_joy: :emoji_joy: :emoji_joy:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky