Whats up with my pork??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sounds Great!!!

popcorn.gif

Bear

Caleb, that looks KILLER! The Beast, pork, fatties, mmmmmmm. Great job! I almost tried a rack this weekend, but i think i still need some guidance, too. Holiday weekend isn't over yet, though. A note about the long times: even my limited experience tells me that's not too abnormal. Before I smoked, I did shoulders in the oven entirely for pulled pork, and big shoulders would take anywhere from 10-15 hours at similar temps.

Just discovered fatties a couple days ago, btw, I hope mine look as good as yours! ~Happy Smoking!

thanks! word of advice on the fatties....roll from a corner so that you can tuck two corners in as you roll and it seals the ends in for ya

Not much to say, as far as tips, pointers, and advice, because it all looks real good.

I will however repeat, avoid inserting a meat probe into solid whole meat until after 3 hours or more in the smoker.

Then sterilize the probe (I use the alcohol wipes they use on you, before you get a blood test or a shot), and probe it when the probe dries. Then you won't have to worry about the 40˚ to 140˚ in no longer than 4 hours "Danger Zone".

Bear

bear, im a little lost. How does avoiding probing in the first three hours helpful in speeding up the 40-140 temp area?
It doesn't,
When you have a solid piece of whole meat, like a Brisket, Butt, Chucky, etc, etc, if you inject it, or probe it, or do anything to puncture it, when you smoke it, you have to get it from 40˚ to 140˚ in no longer than 4 hours for it to be safe to eat.

If you don't puncture it in any way, before it has been in the smoker at 225˚ or so for 3 hours or more, you don't have to worry about that rule. It can actually be less time, and less temperature, but I use 225˚ for 3 hours or more to be well within the safety margin.

Other things like ground beef, chicken, etc have to stay with the "40˚ to 140˚ in 4 hours" rule.

Bear

I didn't know that. Thanks! I didn't follow that rule last night when I smoked pork butt...and half of it is now gone! If I don't post again, you know what happened lol

Last edited:
I didn't know that. Thanks! I didn't follow that rule last night when I smoked pork butt...and half of it is now gone! If I don't post again, you know what happened lol
I just looked at that thread.

That was only a 4.5 pound butt.

You used 225˚ in your smoker.

You said you hit a plateau at 4 hours.

Most plateaus are hit above 140˚, so I would think you made it, as long as you didn't leave it on the counter long before you smoked it.

I think you'll live!   

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky