What's the story with pork belly?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

svirgula

Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Seems to be one of the new food rages this year, I think it's due to the proliferation of Izakaya type establishments and more Chinese places putting it on their 'mainstream' menus. Never had it, supposed to be pretty good; what's it like? Pork belly kinda just sounds like a big gob of gristle to me, so I'm not sure.

And over and above that, would you smoke it?

Last edited:
Pork belly is used for making bacon. First it is cured, then smoked. I don't know how the Chinese use it.

Pork belly is just that - the belly of the pig.  Also known as 'sidepork'.  Had it for years and years.  Uncured, unsmoked bacon.  There are 3 stages to belly:

1) Sidepork  - fresh pork belly, no additives, fresh pork product.

2) Salt Pork - sidepork that has been cured with salt/curing salt; still fresh raw product, but pickled

3) Bacon - salt pork that has been smoked and at least partially cooked (either cold or hot smoked).

This is where it comes from:

ebbf7ee6_halfpig.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky