What's the deal with flies ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We have horses, so they bring in the biting flies. We have all sorts of sprays and traps that kill lots of them, but ultimately I wait for cold weather so they all go back to Hell for the winter.

Reactions: DougE
Its amazing how my dog can drop a turd, and within minutes its drawn flies.

One of the mysteries of nature.
Can you have your dog drop a turd outside my barn doors regularly? They don't seem to be drawn by my dog's turds or cow manure. They just like to come in my shop and aggravate me to no end lol

Flies getting to the end of season but still annoying.
We are bugged with moths. I have never seen this many moths. They hang on everything.
MY worry with moth or butterfly is the eggs they leave and the hungry caterpillar.

Its amazing how my dog can drop a turd, and within minutes its drawn flies.

One of the mysteries of nature.
It's not just the dog. I've been amazed my entire life how fast the bottle flies can find my turd in the woods. So fast they run the risk of getting crushed by the second one.

These things work great
20230922_081527.jpg

Reactions: 02ebz06
Bug a salt here too!
Used to hate flies & we don’t have any until I start the smoker, but now it is just fun. Especially when I had the Lang & had to stay near to feed it. I had so many flies on the ground I had to get the leaf blower out when I did an all day smoke with a brisket.
Al

Bad here too. Green biting flys, and gnats. Hay and alfalfa fields around us, the cows are about a mile away.

When we lived in S, FL the bees would come out when I fired up some smoke.

I'll trade your flies for my mosquitos in the swamp.......
I don't know where your swamp is but I have have mosquito fish in my pond. No or very few mosquitos. The fish eat the larvae. It's like having mini piranha. Nothing escapes them.

Found them. Was a cockpit error. DOH!!!
Originally searched for Govv fly trap instead of Glovv fly trap.
Are they really reusable as it says ?
They are, but I usually dont mess with cleaning them out I just toss the thing and put up new ones. I usually have a few hanging in the yard all summer, can't believe the amount of flies these things catch.

They are, but I usually dont mess with cleaning them out I just toss the thing and put up new ones. I usually have a few hanging in the yard all summer, can't believe the amount of flies these things catch.
Thanks, that is what I figured. Why mess with the nasties.

I hate flies. As I’m typing this I have one staring at me on my console in my truck nasty little buggers. This time of year is always worse as it cools down and they really start trying to come inside of homes which I hate and please don’t even start talking about what they do when they land on your food if you don’t know you don’t ever want to know

Hornets have been hanging around my hummingbird feeder, intimidating the birds. So I got out the salt bug gun and popped a few. Haven't seen any since.

All my grills and smokers are out in my shop. The flies can get pretty bad at times! I guess from seeking the extra warmth and the smell of food. The only other theory I can think of is because they think Im the shit............

:emoji_wink::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Found them. Was a cockpit error. DOH!!!
Originally searched for Govv fly trap instead of Glovv fly trap.
Are they really reusable as it says ?
It sounds like they work well at trapping flies, but I wonder if they're like the June bug traps and attract more bugs to your yard. Meaning they may catch 100 bugs, but 200 more of their friends come to your yard for a visit. Which is a net-gain.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky