what wood do you use to smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

netspyder

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 18, 2022
Collinsville, IL
so... what wood does everyone use to smoke with - pellets, sticks, chunks, whatever... i've done some extensive reading online and everyone seems to like hickory, but i can't stand the smell of it when its burning or the taste it imparts to the meat. am i just weird?

Reactions: JC in GB
Depends on what I'm smoking. For bacon and most sausages I use either cherry/pecan, or cherry/hickory. If I want something bold with poultry or beef, mesquite. Any fruitwood also pairs well with poultry or fish.

Depends on what I'm smoking. For bacon and most sausages I use either cherry/pecan, or cherry/hickory. If I want something bold with poultry or beef, mesquite. Any fruitwood also pairs well with poultry or fish.
i did a turkey with cherry chunks added to a charcoal bed - and they said it turned out great... but then, i don't like turkey much. also did 2 briskets at the same time, and those turned out good too

Cherry is great on poultry. Mesquite almost seems too bold for the subtle flavor of poultry, but it's really good for a change.

I use apple and hickory mainly, although cherry on turkey is really good. Living in the city, it can get pricey but ya gotta smoke.

I'm pretty much all Pecan in my smokers... Splits in the reverse flow... chunks in the Mini WSM... In the smokehouse for snack sticks and sausage I use pitmasters choice pellets mostly... which is Cherry/Hickory/Maple ... sometimes just straight pecan

Freewood is my favorite species. Fortunately, that's been cherry, maple and apple the last few years. The apple's plentiful as the old orchards die off around here, but it takes longer to properly dry.

Reactions: Fueling Around
so... what wood does everyone use to smoke with - pellets, sticks, chunks, whatever... i've done some extensive reading online and everyone seems to like hickory, but i can't stand the smell of it when its burning or the taste it imparts to the meat. am i just weird?
Not weird, just differing taste.
For a wood smoked flavor I really like oak. I used oak splits in my long gone offset.
I also used ash, maple, and apple but decided oak is my favorite.
I tried many different pellets in my grill (pooper) and finally settled on oak in the hopper and whatever in the smoke tube for an added flavor. I do like hickory with pork. I don't get any flavor from cherry but use it for the color it adds to your meat.

Hickory for bacon and post oak for brisket but I have been thinking of trying mesquite on a brisket. I like to use wild cherry for pastrami but, as it does not grow here, it gets expensive buying it online - nevertheless, it is worth it.

Last edited:
i use Hickory mostly, followed by apple, then 50/50 hickory mix.

I use hickory, oak, maple or apple splits in my offset. Which one and how much depends on what I am cooking. Poultry and fish I lean toward fruit wood and maple maybe get my coal bed going with oak or hickory . Pork and beef is usually oak or hickory or both.

I burn wood in a fireplace insert to supplement and save on the winter energy bills. I purchase cut and split wood by the cord or more. I getting too old for cutting and splitting. I will pick out some logs and reserve them for cooking. I'll also get opportunities to help a neighbor out cutting and clearing. My cooking wood pile is mostly cherry. My neighbor had a tree cut down and he gave me all the large logs. I have an apple tree to take down for another friend. I'll just give them a rack of ribs or brisket when the time comes.
I cook with cherry, apple, pear, maple, hickory, oak and ash.

Reactions: yankee2bbq
I have 2 offsets so it's all split wood for me. Currently I have Red Oak, White Oak, Cherry, Hickory, Maple, Plum, and Dogwood. I'm not at all a fan of the Dogwood so it is designated for the outdoor fire pit, if I ever get another one. However the mood strikes me is what I use, but I like Oak, Cherry, and Maple for beef and chicken, Cherry and Hickory for pork. The plum is relatively green so I haven't used it yet, but probably use it on pork and chicken.

everyone seems to like hickory, but i can't stand the smell of it when its burning or the taste it imparts to the meat. am i just weird?
Maybe not weird, but in the minority...🤣

Hickory is slightly pungent. It’s understandable why you may not like it.

I use what I can get…..for free. When I get firewood for our wood insert for the house, I split a few for my smoker. Mostly post oak around here what I burn.

I burn wood in a fireplace insert to supplement and save on the winter energy bills. I purchase cut and split wood by the cord or more. I getting too old for cutting and splitting. I will pick out some logs and reserve them for cooking. I'll also get opportunities to help a neighbor out cutting and clearing. My cooking wood pile is mostly cherry. My neighbor had a tree cut down and he gave me all the large logs. I have an apple tree to take down for another friend. I'll just give them a rack of ribs or brisket when the time comes.
I cook with cherry, apple, pear, maple, hickory, oak and ash.
Woops - wrong post.

• Haha

A lot depends on what flavor I am looking for. I really like using cherry wood for smoking nearly anything. I usually have chunks of oak, hickory, cherry, apple, and mesquite around and use them based on what flavor profile I am looking for. I find post oak imparts a pretty light smoke flavor.

When I use my pellet tube, I usually use the Traeger cherry/maple blend. Maybe I am strange but I really like the smoke flavor of the Traeger pellets.

JC :emoji_cat:

I like hickory for Back bacon , Mostly mesquite for most meats,
or mesquite and Hickory together
will add in or only cherry or Black cherry for some great colour
If smoking desserts I will use fruit woods

But that is what I have played with so far

David

I use apple, pecan, oak, hickory, mesquite, maple, charcoal, cherry.
sometimes blends of those and sometimes just a single variety , just like to try different methods.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky