What tool should I use to scrape my porcelain coated grill grates?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes, they've worked OK for me. See my quoted prior post #11.

The porcelainized grill grates Char Broil made in the 90's & early aughts lost their coating over time & rusted regardless, so I have a personalbias against porcelainized coated grill food grates. . I now use a stainless steel food grate in that grill. No problems ever since! It's my recommended change after / if your porcelainized food grates lose their coating and rust.

As always YMMV

Yeah, I wasn't exactly thrilled to see the porcelain, and in fact the ends arrived a tiny bit chipped, which I contacted Pit Boss about. They promptly sent me a second set for free, which had the exact same issue, so I guess that's just how it is. I don't love it, but I can't bring myself to throw away two sets of brand new grates.

FWIW I didn't toss my factory Char Broil porcelainized food grate until it had lost significant coating and became rusty. That's implied in my 2 prior posts but I suppose not fully spelled out. I don't fault my spiral design cleaning brush but the quality of the process used by whoever Char Broil paid to fabricate that porcelainized food grate.

So, what exactly have you decided on using for the two sets of grates you have?

There is no easy way around cleaning the grates imo, I use a small electric pressure washer and it does a great job, if I find a stubborn spot I hit it with the wire brush then wash it again . I don't advise using anything poisonous on grates that food will be setting on ymmv

So, what exactly have you decided on using for the two sets of grates you have?

I think I'm going to try a variety of solutions. My preferences so far are (in no particular order) the cutoff grill fork, the 3M not scratch scrubbers, ammonia method, spiraled wire brush, and wooden plank with holes drilled. Oh and a normal wire brush for the non-cook surfaces like the heat deflector.

I don't advise using anything poisonous on grates that food will be setting on ymmv

Sounds like a vote against the ammonia method - something I was actually wondering about too... Does ammonia denature very easily into harmless chemicals under heat by any chance? I guess I'll have to look into that. If it does, I guess you'd just want to heat the grates for a bit after cleaning.

Use Sodium Hydroxide (Lye). I use a concrete mixing tub that I use to soak my gas weber grills and flavor bars. Let them soak overnight. Automatic dishwasher detergent also works. Pumic blocks work well to get the initial grease off. If you want to go nuclear the alcoholic KOH is the way to go. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue:

Use Sodium Hydroxide (Lye). I use a concrete mixing tub that I use to soak my gas weber grills and flavor bars. Let them soak overnight. Automatic dishwasher detergent also works. Pumic blocks work well to get the initial grease off. If you want to go nuclear the alcoholic KOH is the way to go. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue:
I also use a concrete mixing tub--perfect size for soaking 18" WSM grates. I mostly use Dawn dishwashing soap, followed by scrubbing with a plastic dishwashing pad or steel wool.

The alkaline solutions (NaOH or alcoholic KOH) certainly clean well, but greatly up the need for protective gear. Gloves, to start, but you really want to protect your eyes against splashes when working with that stuff. In the lab, working with alcoholic KOH baths called for goggles, not just safety glasses.

I have the round wire grates. The notches on the scraper side of a wire bristle cleaner does a fantastic job on clearing the previous cook scale. Never felt the need to use oven cleaner
That is just sodium hydroxide (lye). I can buy bulk NaOH very cheap. And dollar store isn't $1.00 anymore :-)
What's the difference between sodium hydroxide (lye) and NaOH?
Note the sarcasm in my right eye before you get carried away with an answer that dances around before stating it is the essentially same.

Ammonia is cheap at the dollar store, buy a few jugs to have on hand. I fill the shop sink with hot H2o and half a jug of ammonia, put the grates in and let it sit overnight. Then just used a plastic scrub brush and the hose to clean them up, it works grate*.:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Back to the scraper idea....instead of a wooden paint stir stick, try a cheap wooden spatula (frequently included in cheap wooden spoon sets). They're straight and flat so not much good as a spatula. Start scraping hard with it and the wood is thin enough you'll soon establish the periodicity of the grill pattern in it. You can use a file to then quickly establish the precise shape or just let repeated use wear the wood. At some point it wears too much and becomes too much like a fork at which point you can sand or file down the "tines" and just keep using it.

I've tried using a tongue depressor as the "blade" in a large paint scraper but the grain is cross-wise and they don't adapt to the grill pattern. They work great held in your hand but then you're not doing multiple grates at once and it's a slow go.

I assume the brushes you're avoiding are wire brushes because of the fear of a loose wire getting in someone's digestive track. However you might want to consider very stiff plastic brushes. They work almost as well (esp combined with chemical or soap washing methods) and you may not worry as much if one of those bristles gets in your food. Of course you can't use them on an already hot grill like you can a wire brush. They turn black and ugly quick so I hide mine away from the missus to keep from grossing her out.

I think I'm going to try a variety of solutions. My preferences so far are (in no particular order) the cutoff grill fork, the 3M not scratch scrubbers, ammonia method, spiraled wire brush, and wooden plank with holes drilled. Oh and a normal wire brush for the non-cook surfaces like the heat deflector.

Sounds like a vote against the ammonia method - something I was actually wondering about too... Does ammonia denature very easily into harmless chemicals under heat by any chance? I guess I'll have to look into that. If it does, I guess you'd just want to heat the grates for a bit after cleaning.
So D diversification , what have you tried, rejected, and kept thus far?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky