What tool should I use to scrape my porcelain coated grill grates?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

diversification

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 19, 2021
Hi there, I'm looking for a tool to clean my porcelain coated Pit Boss grill grates - I have done a bit of searching and I'm really not thrilled with the choices, so I figured I'd see what you guys use.

Here are some notes regarding a few of the possible solutions that I've considered already:
  • Burning off or washing off the grates is a valid strategy, but in this case it isn't the advice I'm after. I do clean them that way, however I am also looking for specifically for a tool that can safely scrape clean my grates.
  • Wire brushes are not an option I'm willing to consider because of the potential risks. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't use them, but for the purposes of this thread we can skip discussing them.
  • I have a flat wooden scraper that's basically just a piece of wood. It is ok, but doesn't get into the crevices too well.
  • I'm thinking that brillo pads may scratch up the porcelain, and even if it didn't, I'm not sure how well that would deal with the crevices.
  • It seems like non-wire brushes just break down too quickly to really be a good solution.

Is there a tool anyone knows of that quickly and easily scrapes down grill grates? I've toyed around with the idea of drilling a hole the diameter of the grates into a piece of either wood, or a piece of sheet metal, then cutting across the hole at the middle of the circle. The idea would be that it could actually fit right around the grate and get down into the crevices. I'm not sure how well a wooden piece cut that thin would hold up, and while I can probably do it with metal, I'd prefer if I could just buy something instead.

What tools you guys would suggest?

I think if you want some kind of brush to clean them then you would want a brass brass brush,
the steel would be to hard on them

I think if you want some kind of brush to clean them then you would want a brass brass brush,
the steel would be to hard on them

I appreciate the response, however to quote myself:
  • Wire brushes are not an option I'm willing to consider because of the potential risks. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't use them, but for the purposes of this thread we can skip discussing them.

Try putting in a garbage bag with a cup of ammonia tie shut for 24 hours rinse with with hose ! No scraping needed gets all the crevices!

Does that get the hard-to-clean stuff off without a lot of scrubbing? Honestly it sounds like a too-good-to-be-true solution...

Also, would this work on the stuff burned onto the heat shield? It's a pain chipping drippings off of it, so anything that would make it easier would be welcomed lol

Does that get the hard-to-clean stuff off without a lot of scrubbing? Honestly it sounds like a too-good-to-be-true solution...

Also, would this work on the stuff burned onto the heat shield? It's a pain chipping drippings off of it, so anything that would make it easier would be welcomed lol
You use the heat shield? After the first I used it it had drippings all over it, pain in the ass. I don’t use it anymore and foil line the water pan to catch all the drippings.

Reactions: diversification
You use the heat shield? After the first I used it it had drippings all over it, pain in the ass. I don’t use it anymore and foil line the water pan to catch all the drippings.

There isn't actually a water pan in mine (Pit Boss Laredo 1000,) and without the heat shield it would be direct flame on the food, which wouldn't work out very well except for searing.

Also, now I'm wondering if I need to be adding a water pan somewhere in mine...

A stainless steel spiral wound design brush was what Char Broil recommended to use with the original porcelainized food grate, something like this. There are a lot of variations on this theme between different brands, here's a basic one.

Another example

Dunno if these spiral wound designs are something you've already rejected from your consideration as they definitely have wire components, but these also no exposed wire end bristles.

Another of this type

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DPWQQNY/?tag=smokingmeatforums-20

There isn't actually a water pan in mine (Pit Boss Laredo 1000,) and without the heat shield it would be direct flame on the food, which wouldn't work out very well except for searing.

Also, now I'm wondering if I need to be adding a water pan somewhere in mine...
Sorry I thought we had a similar model. Adding a water pan wouldn’t hurt it’s just going to help try and put some moisture in the air. You can use those small disposable foil tins or I would buy a smaller stainless still and be done for life. Good luck.

Exactly!!
That's what I would use to avoid harming the Coating!!
We even used the Maroon Scotch-Brite Pad on Corian and Fountainhead Counter Tops.

Bear

I take it the maroon is also a non-scratch variety? Seems like a good option.

As I've been thinking about choices, I'm also considering drilling several holes into a spare piece of wood to accommodate my specific grate spacing. Also thinking that perhaps the coiled metal scrubbers without exposed individual metal wires might be another decent option that's worlds safer than a regular wire brush. Any experience with those?

Reactions: Bearcarver
I use two homemade scrapers. The top one is a BBQ fork with the tines cut off. $2 on sale at K-mart in the camping department. The bottom one is the same idea, but made with a paint stir stick. These are 10 for $1.50 at Home Depot.
hX7QYR8.jpg

I use two homemade scrapers. The top one is a BBQ fork with the tines cut off. $2 on sale at K-mart in the camping department. The bottom one is the same idea, but made with a paint stir stick. These are 10 for $1.50 at Home Depot.
View attachment 515986
I knew I couldn't be the only one with this type of idea. Love both of these, but especially the BBQ fork idea - I bet I can find something that'll work at the Dollar Tree.

The ammonia works really well pretty much gets everything! I learned that from my mother years ago she would clean her oven racks like that ! I do it with my grill racks and all my smoker racks

I take it the maroon is also a non-scratch variety? Seems like a good option.

As I've been thinking about choices, I'm also considering drilling several holes into a spare piece of wood to accommodate my specific grate spacing. Also thinking that perhaps the coiled metal scrubbers without exposed individual metal wires might be another decent option that's worlds safer than a regular wire brush. Any experience with those?

Yes, they've worked OK for me. See my quoted prior post #11.

A stainless steel spiral wound design brush was what Char Broil recommended to use with the original porcelainized food grate, something like this. There are a lot of variations on this theme between different brands, here's a basic one.

Another example

Dunno if these spiral wound designs are something you've already rejected from your consideration as they definitely have wire components, but these also no exposed wire end bristles.

Another of this type

The porcelainized grill grates Char Broil made in the 90's & early aughts lost their coating over time & rusted regardless, so I have a personalbias against porcelainized coated grill food grates. . I now use a stainless steel food grate in that grill. No problems ever since! It's my recommended change after / if your porcelainized food grates lose their coating and rust.

As always YMMV

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky