What to use with carribean hot sauce?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Motorboat40

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 5, 2020
Crozet, VA
Going to grill chicken wings for dinner I picked up Caribbean hot sauce to make Caribbean hot wings I make my own hot wing sauce with melted butter and other seasonings all the time but have never made my own Caribbean style wing sauce. I was thinking of adding a little honey to make them sweet the wife and kids like their wings that way but did know if the butter would blend well with this style of chicken wings. Any advice or recipes are appreciated!
20200221_171739.jpg

Going to rub wings with island Joe's mojo seasoning before grilling and toss wings in the sauce after they are pulled off the grill.
20200221_172125.jpg

Reactions: kruizer
It's not Caribbean but a week or so ago I made a Thai Sweet Chili Sauce that would be excellent on wings. At this point, with no responses, I'd say just go with your instincts. You're headed in the right direction, just make sure to use flavors and spices that the family is gonna approve of. If the family be happy, your life be happy :emoji_wink: Keep us posted on what you come up with. I'd love to see some pics of the finished product

Robert

Reactions: Motorboat40
It's not Caribbean but a week or so ago I made a Thai Sweet Chili Sauce that would be excellent on wings. At this point, with no responses, I'd say just go with your instincts. You're headed in the right direction, just make sure to use flavors and spices that the family is gonna approve of. If the family be happy, your life be happy :emoji_wink: Keep us posted on what you come up with. I'd love to see some pics of the finished product

Robert
Thanks I found some jepleno pepper jelly in the pantry melted it down with 1 /4 stick of butter added a dash of all spice and a few splashes of lime juice. Smoked them for about an hour at 200 deg with maple pecan peach mixture wood chips. Just put on the grill to get the skin crispy.
20200221_190100.jpg
20200221_193325.jpg

Reactions: jcam222
When I make wing sauce I use butter,hot sauce and some added stuff like garlic powder or whatever....ive done this with all kinds of sauce with good success. I think your going in the right direction with the rub and sauce and wanting to add some sweet. I think for me I would do the butter and sauce like you normally would but without the honey. Then drizzle the honey over them once they are on the plate. Thats going to layer the flavor instead of making a new "one sauce flavor" . whatever you end up doing would love to see the end product. I love wings made all different ways!

Maybe late to the party, but there is no reason you can't add butter and a sweetener. Brown Sugar is common, Cane Syrup and Honey too. Like above, most Caribbean sauces are cook on food or added straight, however they can be very hot and not Kid friendly. Try your usual wing sauce recipe...JJ

20200221_194200.jpg
20200221_194444.jpg

Finished product might be a little too done for some but it perfectly crisp for how we like our wings and not dried out under that skin. My family likes spicy so they ate these but they did complain a little they had a building heat . For me they were perfect I had to take a break after 5 wings, I didn't plan on making them quite this spicy I think maybe I should of used and orange marmalade instead of hot pepper jelly. Still they were a success thanks everyone for your tips I will try your suggestions with some of my next wing cooks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky