what to smoke as a newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Personally I have never cut one in half allow the proper amount of time and you'll be fine.

This smoke took between 9 and 10 hours in my smoker there was another full rack of butts below this one. I did burn more fuel doing all of these but the time was the same as if I only had one butt in there

b2c997d2_DSC02611.jpg

Reactions: cole
ok cool, im going to try 2 5-8lbers and pull them, figure me and my gf can eat some pulled pork sandwiches for a while with 10lbs ofpulled pork lol

anyone have a good recipe that is kinda step by step that i can follow for preperation and everything

WOW Piney! That's a but load of Butts 
drool.gif

Personally I have never cut one in half allow the proper amount of time and you'll be fine.

This smoke took between 9 and 10 hours in my smoker there was another full rack of butts below this one. I did burn more fuel doing all of these but the time was the same as if I only had one butt in there

b2c997d2_DSC02611.jpg

thanks, ill have to follow that, now to just finda good rub to use

also, instead of the rum (he uses 3 to 1 apple to rum spray), i wonder if 100% apple would work

Yes 100% Apple Juice will work not sure if it works quite as well but it works

I would leave them whole & do both on the top rack with a pan underneath to catch the drippings. I usually put beef or chicken broth, onions, & garlic in the pan. Then de-fat the drippings & toss with the pulled pork.

i was referring to the meat if it stalls, which has happened to me
icon_smile.gif
i have also seen other post were someone has smoked two shoulders the same size, one continued rising in temp, while the other stalled for a few hours.

well i bought a pack of 2 that are cyrovac wrapped (or however you spell it), total is 18.24 lbs, but i am wondering,t he date on it says sell by 1/11/2010 (did not notice this), it should be good til saturday if kept refrigerated right?, that is when i plan on smoking it

package says 1-14-2011 for the sell by date, i read it wrong, which is friday so i should be safe to cook for early saturday right?

package says 1-14-2011 for the sell by date, i read it wrong, which is Friday so i should be safe to cook for early Saturday right?
You are fine... i would apply my Rub Friday for the Saturday smoke...

I just picked a double pack of Butts myself totaling 16 pounds... got it for $12!!!!! they are good till the end of Jan... I couldn't pass it up even though i might be busy the next week or 2... i hope to do one this Sunday!

Just remember, if you cut them in half, or inject or probe them in any fashion before they go on the grill you will need to  hit 140 degrees in 4 hours or less for safety reasons.

When cooking one butt or two or even ten it won't effect your cook times, it may take more fuel though. Just keep the temp steady and try to get a nice thin blue smoke. Don't freak out during your stall, just let it take its course. Pork is very forgiving, so this should be a good first long smoke for you.

Good luck and don't forget the Q-view!

package says 1-14-2011 for the sell by date, i read it wrong, which is Friday so i should be safe to cook for early Saturday right?

I just picked a double pack of Butts myself totaling 16 pounds... got it for $12!!!!! they are good till the end of Jan... I couldn't pass it up even though i might be busy the next week or 2... i hope to do one this Sunday!

Wow, 16 pounds for $12!   I wish I lived closer to  South Jersey!  I can't hardly find road kill around here for that price.

Wow, 16 pounds for $12!   I wish I lived closer to  South Jersey!  I can't hardly find road kill around here for that price.
Yeah Man! I wasnt gonna pass on that deal! i did a double take!

THIS IS TO WHAT I REFER.

b2c997d2_DSC02611.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky