What to look for

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kkmail

Original poster
Feb 6, 2017
Hi guys and gals

Hoping to get some feedback on the charbroil electric Model 140722. It's a digital refer type available in the UK. It appears fairly simple but I don't really know what to look for, good or bad.. Anyway, I im set on electric for ease of use. Plus my yard is full of cherry and apple trees that i'd like to use. The electric will come into play nicely and work well even if the wood is not seasoned right ? That's what I'm hoping for anyway..I do have an issue that I'm located in Ukraine and it's not really feasible to buy from the usa. Shipping costs are a dealbreaker ! So any general input will much appreciated and advice taken !!

Thanks to all !

I tried to do a search to see your smoker & couldn't find anything on it.

Do you have a photo & more info about it?

Also most electric smokers will require dry seasoned wood chips, so your cherry & apple trees wouldn't be of much use.

Sounds to me that an offset stick burner would be your best option.

Something like this.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/oklahoma-joes-highland-smoker-and-grill

Al

Ya thanks for the info.. I looked at the highland smoker and it's just to big ! As you can see from the photo's below it snows quite a bit here so I do need that refer type and it needs to be under that red cover. It fits on the right side where that trash can is with a few modifications. I'm confused a little about the wood though, I burn unseasoned wood all the time via the gas bbq you see in the photo.. After it lights, usually 15 minutes of gas, it burns fine and I turn off the gas..I do use more though but that was another purpose of electric, being able to use the wood that isn't seasoned..And I can keep ahead of the game by 3-4 months of seasoning, if necessary,no problems.. I have a lot of cherry.. Sorry you couldn't find the Char Broil Model $140722. It's at charbroil.eu and then under smokers. I really appreciate your assistance here, please know that !!  Its tough putting things together here to say the least !

Ken

I'm so jealous of you guys and girls being able to get anything anytime !!!

kkmail - I was able to find the smoker you referenced.  It appears similar to the Masterbuilt smokers which are very popular on this forum.  I found a website that is linked below. I am linking this in case you were not familiar with it.  This store sells several brands including Smoke Hollow and Smokin-it (SI).  I own and use the Smokin-it Model 3D. Barbecue Planet also sells Smoke Hollow (SH) so a link to their site is also provided. 

Regarding what to look for:  Join forums and look for strengths and weaknesses of any smoker you are considering. I personally prefer a smoker with no window and built of all stainless steel.  A long warranty is a plus. The SI smokers at the first link only list the Models 1 and 2 but a larger unit may be able to be ordered. Check them out.  Also look at the Smoke Hollow units.  They have a digital model if digital is what you want.  I have provided a link to the postings on it here at SMF.  You can also look for some posts on Charbroil, but they are few and far between. There are  a lot of posts on the smokers from SI.

You do not want to use wet wood.  It should be split and seasoned or if pruning left in small branch form. Personally I do not like bark on my wood. Seasoned wood should have a moisture content between 14 and 20/25 % (my personal choice).  So I use a pin type moisture meter and check. I use chunks in my smoker so I cut my own to the weight I need, generally a single piece weighing between 4 and 6 ounces for the entire smoke. Good luck and happy smoking.

http://www.barbecuesplanet.co.uk/category/bbq-smokers/electric-smokers/page/2/

http://www.smokin-it.com

http://www.olp-inc.com

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/256735/smoke-hollow-smoke-tronix

Hi old Sarge

Sure would like to get my hands on one of those 40" Smoke Hollow units..I could show these Ukrainians what smokin[s all about with that baby !Their engineering looks to be impressive. The understand smoking. I say that because in reality, a heating element will bring up the temperature to where you set the thermometer, but that does not necessarily mean the wood or pellets or whatever you use will even smoke !! They have addressed that issue and it is also speaks to as why you need to use seasoned wood which I didn't know ! It simply will not smoke.. So thanks a mil Sarge, I've got an email out to them hoping they have a dealer somewhere across the pond ! Your input is/was invaluable. Ya and Char Broil says they will have one out in April available for purchase in Europe with the 220 volt plug.. I've brought things with heating elements here to Ukraine from the states before like coffee makers, blow dryers, and toasters but the current is so much stronger it just cooks em, rather impressively too !! hahahahaha...So ya, I do need the European plug.

So thanks again Sarge, the battle continue's !!

Ken

Ken - glad to have been of help.  I do have to say that I thought you were in the UK as in England.  Thanks for clarifying.  With the wood box sitting on top of the electrical element, smoke production starts at around 120 degrees per the digital readout.  In reality, the heating element is cherry red so it is super hot. So the electronics sort of average out everything so that the element does not cycle off too soon, just like on a regular oven.  It cycles off after the temp is up and cycles on when the temp swings low. With an analog controlled system, the temp swings might be 20 to 30 degrees high and low of the set temp during a cycle; with digital/PID the cycle is within a degree or two.  The Smoke Hollow units do look nicely thought out.  If you cannot get electric, there is always propane. Good luck.  Dave

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky