What to do with this old wood barrel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
So my brother bought a house and is hitting it and this barrel was in it. He was gonna pitch it and I thought it was pretty cool and he said I could have it. It’s about 2 feet tall. I’m looking for ideas of what to use it for. Either garage or grill or gun related so if you guys Cab think of cool ideas I’d love to hear them.

Attachments

• 854F07C2-F4A8-457C-BC5C-0C05EA72E426.jpeg
    854F07C2-F4A8-457C-BC5C-0C05EA72E426.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 21
  • A6103416-144B-4BA7-A5DB-AFF785717F13.jpeg
    A6103416-144B-4BA7-A5DB-AFF785717F13.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 20
We find them sometimes. Cut them in half and use them as planters. Could stain it to get some color back in the wood. Or you could fix it up and line it.....would make a pretty sweet cooler

My buddy picked up 20 whiskey barrels not to long ago. I thought about getting one to put in the garage to store all my fishing rods in instead log leaned in the corner lol.

Reactions: D.W.
We find them sometimes. Cut them in half and use them as planters. Could stain it to get some color back in the wood. Or you could fix it up and line it.....would make a pretty sweet cooler

jake what do you mean line it? I agree It would be a pretty sweet cooler. It sure is heavy haha

jake what do you mean line it? I agree It would be a pretty sweet cooler. It sure is heavy haha
Brian if I was gonna make a cooler from it I'd cut it in half long ways and use the side with the bunghole as the cooler. Line the inside with some flex seal or something like that and put a small piece of pvc in the bunghole with an open/shut valve for a drain. Then you can stain the outside....add a bottle opener. Build you an easy frame to hold it and add some casters to the legs

Brian if I was gonna make a cooler from it I'd cut it in half long ways and use the side with the bunghole as the cooler. Line the inside with some flex seal or something like that and put a small piece of pvc in the bunghole with an open/shut valve for a drain. Then you can stain the outside....add a bottle opener. Build you an easy frame to hold it and add some casters to the legs
Great idea Jake

Rip it in half long ways it will fall apart . Most likely any way you cut it , it will fall apart .

Rip it in half long ways it will fall apart . Most likely any way you cut it , it will fall apart .
Nah the bands and the end caps will hold it together just fine either way you cut it. We cut them in half all the time for planters

Never cut one length wise. We make planters by cutting in half by the middle. Don't see why it would fall apart either way you cut it though. Here's an example. What I suggested doest have a lid but this one does
crystalandcrates_photo_5922fedcd3.png

I was just going by what you said above . Not trying to be a pain . The one you show is cool . I like that . It's been mechanically fastened to hold it together . Otherwise they will come apart if ripped along it's length . Cut in half filled with dirt I can see .

Note the one in the picture has the bands pinned to the wood slats near the cut. That would have to be done otherwise the bands would just fall off when cut and the rest of the barrel would just become a pile of slats.

chopsaw posted while I was slow typing.

Reactions: chopsaw
I bought a full size wine barrel a few years ago. I cut it in half, and then cut up the staves from one half into smaller pieces to use as smoking wood. The other half is still complete, and I store bags of pellets and wood chunks in it.

i would fill it with gunpowder insert fuse and blow that sucker up! but that's me:emoji_grin:, but actually the cooler sounds pretty neat!

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky