what to do with old water?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crabby

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
I know it sounds stupid but im searching for a proper way to dispose of it.

I can't throw it in the corner of the yard because i have three dogs and don't want them going crazy...

I don't want to throw it over the fence because I like my neighbors.

is there a good way?

If it doesn't have a lot of grease in it, pour it down the drain. If it does, let it cool and pour into an empty milk jug or something similar and throw in the trash.

I see this is your first post here, when you get a minute would you do us a favor and go to "Roll Call" and introduce yourself so we can get to know you and give you a proper welcome, also would you add your location to your profile, we like knowing where you are when we talk to you, Thanks!

it was foul....nice layer of grease but other stuff i wouldnt want on my floor if the comode backed up.....

happen to have drained a milk jug so It's gone...

I like the jug in trash can method. Sometimes I've put the water pan in the garage frig and let the grease solidify, scrap off, then dump the water.

I combine with old and cold ash into trash bag. Make it a solid waste. That's what my city instructs on their site (actually they said to mix with cat litter) but I don't have cats.

dig a hole in the yard and put a drywall mud bucket upside down with a pvc funnel in it,  then just pour water in it every time

just leave it in the smoker a day or two til all the fat solidifies and pull it off as one giant sheet. Then you can dump the water down the drain/garbage disposal without fear of clogs.

Does anyone else absolutely HATE the smell of the water/fat pancake that results from your smokes? One of the few things in life that makes me want to gag at first smell.

Remove the Fat First! Hot fat will coat the pipe in the Toilet or Sink and eventually cause a clog...I have cleaned MANY Grease traps in Restaurants and grease can set up Solid over time...Oh and Irie, the Grease in your Smoker water pan smells like " Thanksgiving Dinner at Grandma's " compared to the STENCH that fills the Building when a Grease Trap is opened. Glad I no longer need to deal with that anymore...JJ

Reactions: buggman
our back yard is sand (at the beach), so I dig a whole and dump bot my ash and grease. Cover with sandy dirt. Simple...and my dogs don't even bother it.  life is good.

just leave it in the smoker a day or two til all the fat solidifies and pull it off as one giant sheet. Then you can dump the water down the drain/garbage disposal without fear of clogs.
Avoid putting hot grease down the drain. If you're on a septic it'll eventually clog up your tank and drain field, if it actually makes it there. The house pipes cool quickly and will usually cool the grease before it far, causing it to solidify and stick to your pipes. Once there, it's hard to get off. Running hot water only clears a little, eventually it'll slow the drains.

The grease should solidify in an hour or two at room temperature, right after you've had your feast.

I like to prevent rather than fix. 

When I was using water (use sand now) I would do the milk jug thing. I however would save a couple cups and add some brown gravy mix. Let me tell you, it's the best damn smoked gravy you'll ever have.

I line a 5 gallon bucket with a trash bag, then when my ashes are dead cold I dump them in the bucket, then dump the water in on top of the ash. I can do this 3x before the bucket is full, the ash absorbs all the water and then I can just toss it in my garbage can.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky