what time to eat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Porkbelly971

Original poster
May 27, 2022
Hi. Newbie, Question. 10lb pork butt. to eat at 4pm, is it best to smoke it the night before? or get up at 2 and start the process? (10lb +/- 12hr, 1-2hr rest)
If smoked overnight, how to reheat without drying overcooking? really appreciate any advice.

Hi. Newbie, Question. 10lb pork butt. to eat at 4pm, is it best to smoke it the night before? or get up at 2 and start the process? (10lb +/- 12hr, 1-2hr rest)
If smoked overnight, how to reheat without drying overcooking? really appreciate any advice.
What is the cooking process? Cooker? Temp? A lot of variables here. What about your personal experience cooking butts, generally, but in the cooker you are using?

Reactions: bigfurmn and TNJAKE
10 lb pork butts are my favorite size.

If you have a "set it and forget it" type smoker, start it the night before about 8-9 PM. Let it run all night at 225F. In the morning, crank the heat as high as you can. It will finish probe tender in about 2-3 hours, and you can rest it until time to serve. If you leave it whole while resting, you won't have to worry about it drying out. A pork butt is not a steak. It likes heat for a long time and is almost impossible to dry out. If it is dry, it is undercooked. That's the nature of collagen-filled meat. Undercooked = dry and tough.

If you have a smoker you have to babysit, there are several options. So, what type of smoker?

Sorry guys,
I have a 44×24.3×18.5" no name electric smoker. I can set the temp/time, but it is not a programable/adjustable. it has been pretty reliable. I have to replace Wood Chips every 45 minutes or so, first 3-4 hr.
I have smoked shoulders when just for me and fam and I didn't care about
timing. Going to a cookout and had a Butt in Freezer so smoking that. They want to eat at 430pm so it was do I get up at 2am or cook Sat into Sunday. I have never cooked overnight so was not sure on just wrap and let it be? does it affect Bark? I usually cook at 225 for 10+ hours ave 9lb . was thinking 250 this time? but I have never wrapped before either, just got to temp (learning by feel) let it rest and dig in. hope that helps. thank you.

Sorry guys,
I have a 44×24.3×18.5" no name electric smoker. I can set the temp/time, but it is not a programable/adjustable. it has been pretty reliable. I have to replace Wood Chips every 45 minutes or so, first 3-4 hr.
I have smoked shoulders when just for me and fam and I didn't care about
timing. Going to a cookout and had a Butt in Freezer so smoking that. They want to eat at 430pm so it was do I get up at 2am or cook Sat into Sunday. I have never cooked overnight so was not sure on just wrap and let it be? does it affect Bark? I usually cook at 225 for 10+ hours ave 9lb . was thinking 250 this time? but I have never wrapped before either, just got to temp (learning by feel) let it rest and dig in. hope that helps. thank you.
You could always put it in the smoker at 6am at 250° for 5hr or so. Then throw in oven at 300+ covered. You'll finish well before mealtime and have decent smoke flavor

You could still cook it ahead of time, heat it up at home the day of the cookout, and transport it in a cooler to keep it hot til you get there. I really hate trying to get a butt or other large piece of meat ready by a specific time, because if something can go wrong, it will. You really don't lose anything by doing the cook a day or 2 before the event, and reheating the day of.

You could still cook it ahead of time, heat it up at home the day of the cookout, and transport it in a cooler to keep it hot til you get there. I really hate trying to get a butt or other large piece of meat ready by a specific time, because if something can go wrong, it will. You really don't lose anything by doing the cook a day or 2 before the event, and reheating the day of.
Either way save the defatted juices to mix back in and you'll have a win

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky