What the hell did I just buy - Hobart/Kitchen aid

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Found this on Market place a model K5-A with a bunch of attachments. Not quite the deal SmokinAl SmokinAl got but got it for $100. Seems this model was made between 1941-1986 as it says hobart on it. This will get me into the meat grinder/stuffing game as well as be good for slicing cucs for pickle chips. There are few things I still don't know what they are.
69247332884__DD30224C-9569-435B-8E15-C6B91E0917D4.jpg
69247555131__68966788-64D3-460E-B333-F10D07275532.jpg

I should have had this when the kids where little, I made all their birthday cakes and burned out a couple hand mixers on the butter cream.

Reactions: JLeonard
clifish clifish great purchase. Those years were solid and better than current models.

If you want an actual stainless steel grinder attachment, best one on market I could find with a lot of research, then Smokehousechef.com has it on their front page, $159 but the top grinder for a KA, no aluminum or fake stainless.

That is a great mixer!
Thanks this came wit the plastic version, will get me started then I will step up if I continue doing it. Is the one you linked too better than a designated grinder? or just takes up less room?

Great find. My wife and I use ours pretty regular. Got it shortly after we were married.

I may have to break down and join FB just for marketplace. Need another unit for the winter home

The plastic unit is a poor grinder. (< period!) It is a bad sausage stuffer, too. I don't expect the SS grinder to be much better.
If you want to get started in sausage making (trust me, it is fun and not really that hard) get a quality grinder attachment for the mixer and a dedicated 5# stuffer.

Great find. My wife and I use ours pretty regular. Got it shortly after we were married.

I may have to break down and join FB just for marketplace. Need another unit for the winter home

The plastic unit is a poor grinder. (< period!) It is a bad sausage stuffer, too. I don't expect the SS grinder to be much better.
If you want to get started in sausage making (trust me, it is fun and not really that hard) get a quality grinder attachment for the mixer and a dedicated 5# stuffer.
yeah I figured that, will try my hand at some brats first. Do you think the below would be a decent attachment for grinding or is a designated grinder much better? I really don't think I will be doing hundreds of sausage meat anytime soon.

I did "geek out" today and grated some cheese for our chili dinner. Then I churned some butter for fun and froze the buttermilk. I also grabbed some dill, parsley and cilantro from the Aerogarden mixed with garlic for some compound butter.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
IMG_4518.jpg
5.jpg

I have no experience with any of the metal grinder attachments.
Ours came with the plastic unit and I tried it once for grinding and once for stuffing.
The SS unit from smokehousechef is definitely top of the line, but I have looked at the other metal attachments from Amazon.
For now, I use my grandmother's manual grinder.
I got an old cast iron stuffer from my father-in-law. Bottom horn style that is a meat waster, but it does a great job on the other 7# I can crank through it. I will never replace that stuffer out of honor to father-in-law and because it does a great job. I put the cast iron can in the fridge for a day before stuffing. It helps keep the meat cold

Reactions: clifish
That is a fun experience!
Geek is the wrong term for your products. (no offense)
Home crafted is my thinking?
Daughter was trying to describe her family upbringing and called it "hippy". UGH!
We are not hippy by any means. I call us pragmatic.
We use very little processed foods. I grow a variety of goods in my pesticide free garden.
I compost and recycle, but no way in hell will I drive an electric or hybrid vehicle.

I compost and recycle, but no way in hell will I drive an electric or hybrid vehicle.
Well the deer have been killing the garden last couple years even my ghost peppers.

I drive too much for an EV (27,000 miles last year) and have 8 cars in the household with only 4 drivers so the EPA hates me...lol

I live in town and have chicken wire plus electric fence around my garden. Chicken wire goes up 2' for the rabbits. Electric fence starts at chicken wire which stops the squirrels and raccoons. The next 4' of electric halts the deer.
That is my definition of pragmatic!

The stainless steel grinder is pretty decent. I use it quite often when doing 10# or less batches. It will get warm grinding 10# of near frozen meat but works well.

Hell yes Clif, why I'd imagine that baby wasn't made in China, but right here at home in the USA! RAY
Yes it is, Made in Troy Ohio at the hobart plant. I wish I could find the serial number to pin point the age. The woman I got it from is 56 and it was her mothers, so I am thinking 1950-60's?

The stainless steel grinder is pretty decent. I use it quite often when doing 10# or less batches. It will get warm grinding 10# of near frozen meat but works well.
Ordered some supplies yesterday for casings and jerky/snack stick seasonings. I will give it a go with the plastic stuffer that came with it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky