What kind of wood is this

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm not a tree expert, but the leaves resemble a white ash tree, and the sap wood is fairly light in color.

Chris

I typed in willow oak on google and that's what it looks like. Try it out. What kind of smoker are u running?

Nice! I've cooked with green wood many times, that's what I cooked with till it was seasoned. Mainly doing cowboy style cooking over fire pit, I'd get the fire going first with some fir

Its got the boys stumped on the woodworking site. If ya burned some and its good .... then its goodwood.

Raven is correct. To be more specific, it's Honey Locust (yes, like the insect). HL has lots of thorns, especially on the main trunk. It's a totally different tree than Black Locust, which has a few thorns. But both are in the legume family, along with mesquite and acacia. I have no clue about whether it is suitable for smoking meat.

Reactions: spiceguy
In another post it was stated that honey locust was ok for smoking but not black locust.
For sure you have a great fire wood though.

Warren

Honey locust. Those needles are a bear. They can/will go thru a garden tractor tire and also boot soles. And if you get stuck, it smarts like a mother for 20-30 minutes, I think from the oils. Great for fire wood or fence posts, but not so sure about smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky