What is your choice of ribs? First choice & last choice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I like Loin Backs and Kansas City or St Louis cut spares about equally. Baby Backs are too small and meatless unless you want some to cook really quick, and I don't like messing with the rib tips on full spares.

So happy I stopped by. Got more ideas for my spare rib trim. I much prefer trimmed spares over BB. That being said, we actually prefer PP over ribs now but it used to be the other way around.

I BBs personally but i also like St Louis. i don't care for the rib tips of a full rack of spare ribs. there are some really good YouTube on how to trim St Louis out of spare and trim up for competition.

Here is a video of trimming up some medium ribs....

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: pushok2018
Alright, Here's the way The Bear sees it:
#1. Beef Dinos, cut from my Fresh Prime Ribs, with extra meat left on the bone side of the cut.
#2 BabyBacks, but because they're too expensive around here, I go with Spares, but leave them whole, and don't get or cut them into St Louis Cut. Keeps them much juicier when whole.

Bear

I'll pass on spareribs
NO ! Not me anyway . Untrimmed spares , clean 'em up , trim 'em out as needed .
20191005_115921.jpg
I save the clean trim for sausage .
20191005_115927.jpg

BB over spares - when I can find them without that big hunk of loin meat on them, but like bear. I'll take beef ribs any day of the week of pork.

Chris

NO ! Not me anyway . Untrimmed spares , clean 'em up , trim 'em out as needed .
chopsaw, based on multiple suggestions I went to the store today to get couple of slabs of spare ribs but... no luck for me - they were out of ribs. They expect them for sale first thing tomorrow morning so I'll be there.... Now I am intrigued about spare ribs myself!!. :emoji_wink:

Reactions: chopsaw
Full racks of spares for me, sometimes I trim them, other times not. I'll buy St Louis when the price is right if there's room in the freezer. BB's come in last, not enough meat for what I have to pay, and I always buy on sale. RAY

When I buy spare ribs, I always trim them to St Louis style. Spares give you a lot of rib tips and scraps to cook up. In answer to your question. St Louis spares, back ribs, spares.

JC :emoji_cat:

And again - THANK YOU everyone who sent the posts and gave me and advice!!
I tried spare ribs last Sunday using 3-2-1 method using Jeff's rub and BBQ sause recipe..... which is what I like. Yes, I doctored his recipe a little - just to my taste. I smoked them precisely at 225F using apple and hickory pellets. The final result was a little too chewy... to my taste. I like my ribs fall of the bone with a little bite.. I think I had to smoke ribs just a little longer.... maybe one more hour... or one and a half? Otherwise - the ribs was delicious! Sorry, I don't have picks of the final result - my son 9and myself) were too hungry and I forgot to take final shots.... I am not asking for forgiveness.... - my bad.
1. Membrane is removed...
IMG_2560.jpg

2. Rub is applied...
IMG_2562.jpg

3. Smoked and ready to cut....
IMG_2576.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2562.jpg
    IMG_2562.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: JC in GB
A little chewy. Needed more time.

I'm a "keep it simple" guy when smoking. No membrane removal, no wrapping. Rub the spare ribs, toss on a 225-250-275F smoker, and walk away until they are as done as I like which I determine with a probe. My wife loves FOTB, so 6-8 hours at 225F until probe tender, 5-6.5 at 250F, 4.5-5.5 at 275F. The size of the ribs can impact time. Juicy, tender, and minimal effort.

A little chewy. Needed more time.

I'm a "keep it simple" guy when smoking. No membrane removal, no wrapping. Rub the ribs, toss on a 225-250-275F smoker, and walk away until they are as done as I like which I determine with a probe. My wife loves FOTB, so 6-8 hours at 225F until probe tender, 5-6.5 at 250F, 4.5-5.5 at 275F. Juicy, tender, and minimal effort.
Ahhha.... that's what I though - more time. Thank you for the detailed reply:6-8 hours at 225F until probe tender, 5-6.5 at 250F, 4.5-5.5 at 275F.... I still have second slub in my freezer and will experiment with it next time....

I often get the full rack spares and trim to St Louis. Love having those Chef's teaser tasters (I sometimes call'em Scooby snacks) to experiment with different flavors, seasonings before I commit a whole rack to them.....plus...It's fun!!!! ....My $0.02.

I like both about the same. But I prefer bb on the rotisserie and spares smoked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky