What is your best side

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I never really think in terms of sides always the whole plate so a tough one for me...

But I do like...

basmati rice with small chopped up salad mixed in or cous cous version

Baby potatoes boiled and tossed in butter + garlic and herb

Greek salad with chips/fries + feta cheese

Smashed baby baked potatoes with butter, garlic, sea salt and black pepper.

Turkey wrapped asparagus

Apple salad

Grilled artichokes + grilled peppers with a drizzle of oil and salt + pepper

Courgette/zucchini boats stuffed with salsa + cheese
Thank you for the suggestions. My family are huge fans of asparagus and zucchini. So I’m sure I will have to give a couple of these a try st some point.

Derp, forgot another one that has -always- been a hit around here...

PICKLE WRAPS:
Pickles, we tend to use tobasaco pickles, or some sort of spicier pickle.
Cream Cheese.
Honey deli ham <The cheap thin stuff>
Flour Tortilla
Garlic Salt.

Roughly chop pickles, put in food process with softened cream cheese and garlic salt. Blend until it looks like pickle relish chunks with cream cheese. Smear a healthy layer on a flour tortilla, put piece(s) of ham on them. Roll up, cut into serving portions. Watch them disappear in short order.
*I don't use actual pickle relish because it tends to be a bit to watery, and sweet. Some times we add in a dash of hot sauce, etc.*
Lol. You weren’t kidding about being full of ideas. This one sound easy and delicious. Thanks again.

Lol. You weren’t kidding about being full of ideas. This one sound easy and delicious. Thanks again.
I'm fairly used to cooking most if not all big meals for the holidays ;) Get alot of practices in changing things up when you do that. I'm sure more will come to my mind at random times Lol!

And back with another one that a friend does and I always like..

Buy good frozen bread dough <How many you need is up to you>

You will need for each loaf of dough a bag of mixed cheese <The flavour is entirely up to you. I copy my friend and use six cheese blend>. You also will need a pound of sausage or pepperoni <If sausage, make sure it's cooked up and crumbled>.
*Also ample garlic butter..*

Effectively.. roll the dough out flat, smear with garlic butter, evenly put the cheese and sausage around it. Roll it up, crimp the ends so nothing leaks out..bake per usual..giant cheese roll!

Lets see.. I don't think I'll have to put the directions; just remind every one.. Chex Mix! Which can also be smoked. Chex Mix is a classic snack dish and if you do a picnic...it's just perfect for it, right? I'll stop before I end up spending hours digging through my recipes for all the things I've made and made again lol.

Reactions: The Butt Man
If you get a chance, I would like to see that shrimp recipe.

Hey All,
Here's my shrimp ceviche recipe. Like many things there are a thousand different ways to do it but here's one way!

Fiesta Shrimp Ceviche

1 pound medium shrimp, cooked, peeled, tail removed, each shrimp cut into 3-4 pieces
6 Tablespoons fresh lime juice (about four limes, I’d buy a couple extra, can always make drinks with them– really, squeeze your own fresh limes, it’s worth it!) :)
1-2 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp sugar
¾ - 1 cup yellow pepper ¼” dice
¾ - 1 cup red pepper ¼” dice
1-2 tsp minced garlic (or more if you’re a garlic lover)
½ cup finely chopped green onion, green and white part
2-3 jalapeno peppers finely chopped (seeded and deveined if you don’t like hot or more if you do!)
1 avocado ¼-1/2” dice (or whatever size you like)
2 tsp olive oil
Tortilla chips – I like the blue corn chips, but use what you like. I avoid highly salted chips as it distracts from the ceviche
Optional: diced mango
Optional: scallops cut roughly into the same size as the shrimp

In a non-reactive bowl, mix lime juice, salt and sugar until dissolved. Add shrimp and other ingredients except the avocado and oil then gently fold together to blend with the lime juice. There should be free liquid but you don’t need soup. Cover and refrigerate and for a couple hours to let the flavors blend. When ready to serve add the avocado and drizzle with olive oil and fold together to coat the avocado or it will start browning. This can all be mixed on the fly but it’s better to let it sit a little while. Serve with chips and enjoy!

If you want fancy serve in a martini glass! ;)

Note: the avocado can be added with other ingredients but I prefer adding it shortly before serving also if there are people who don’t like avocado it can instead be cut into large strips to easily avoid – everyone is happy!

Note: If adding mango use a nice ripe one, it can be added with other ingredients. I recommend about ½ a cup to start or do whatever you like.

Standard disclaimer: Raw seafood can make you sick or dead.

If adding scallops: I use sea scallops that I personally harvest while scuba diving so I know they are of high quality and have been handled properly. I know most people don’t have this option so be sure to go to a reputable fish monger. Cut into roughly ½” pieces or if using bay scallops leave whole or cut in half if large. Add together with the other ingredients. MUST refrigerate at least 2hrs to allow the lime juice to “cook” the scallops. Longer is OK. Gently mix a couple times while “cooking”. Depending on quantity added, either cut down on the shrimp or prepare additional lime/salt/sugar mix to ensure a good coating on everything. There should be a fair amount of free liquid present but you don’t need soup.

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
That sounds really good! Does the shrimp stay firm even if you add it precooked?
Yes, the shrimp stays nice even precooked. Even next day if you manage to have leftovers it is still tasty. If you have access to fresh shrimp, much like the scallops you could use fresh shrimp but you need to consider serious food safety issues.

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
Hey All,
Here's my shrimp ceviche recipe. Like many things there are a thousand different ways to do it but here's one way!

Fiesta Shrimp Ceviche

1 pound medium shrimp, cooked, peeled, tail removed, each shrimp cut into 3-4 pieces
6 Tablespoons fresh lime juice (about four limes, I’d buy a couple extra, can always make drinks with them– really, squeeze your own fresh limes, it’s worth it!) :)
1-2 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp sugar
2-3 jalapeno peppers finely chopped (seeded and deveined if you don’t like hot or more if you do!)
2 tsp olive oil
Tortilla chips – I like the blue corn chips, but use what you like. I avoid highly salted chips as it distracts from the ceviche

In a non-reactive bowl, mix lime juice, salt and sugar until dissolved. Add shrimp and other ingredients except the avocado and oil then gently fold together to blend with the lime juice. There should be free liquid but you don’t need soup. Cover and refrigerate and for a couple hours to let the flavors blend. When ready to serve add the avocado and drizzle with olive oil and fold together to coat the avocado or it will start browning. This can all be mixed on the fly but it’s better to let it sit a little while. Serve with chips and enjoy!

Note: the avocado can be added with other ingredients but I prefer adding it shortly before serving also if there are people who don’t like avocado it can instead be cut into large strips to easily avoid – everyone is happy!

Note: If adding mango use a nice ripe one, it can be added with other ingredients. I recommend about ½ a cup to start or do whatever you like.

If adding scallops: I use sea scallops that I personally harvest while scuba diving so I know they are of high quality and have been handled properly. I know most people don’t have this option so be sure to go to a reputable fish monger. Cut into roughly ½” pieces or if using bay scallops leave whole or cut in half if large. Add together with the other ingredients. MUST refrigerate at least 2hrs to allow the lime juice to “cook” the scallops. Longer is OK. Gently mix a couple times while “cooking”. Depending on quantity added, either cut down on the shrimp or prepare additional lime/salt/sugar mix to ensure a good coating on everything. There should be a fair amount of free liquid present but you don’t need soup.

Thanks for coming back to this topic to post that. I can’t wait to try it.

I have done some smoked twice baked potatoes for mother's day.
This is Jeff's recipe but i have done it and they turned out amazing!
https://www.smoking-meat.com/smoked-twice-baked-potatoes

i modified it to add ground pork and bacon and remove the jalapenos...

IMG_20180513_082136.jpg

i did the baking and stuffing ahead of time then finished the second bake right before serving (to serve hot) worked out awesome, everyone loved them!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I would suggest a savory (as opposed to a sugar added sweet) German potato salad. The acid in the vinegar is a nice foil to the fat in the pork and chicken.

That's crazy... Was going to post that myself but thought no one would dig that. I have friends that have never had sauerkraut... You also bring up the key point. The best side contrasts the protein. Sweet barbarcue: savory side and vice versa. So it's less about the actual dish and more about getting things to work together. As was already posted a simple baked potato can rock it with ribs and chicken slathered in sweet vinegary sauce.

All this being said, I almost feel that it is my duty to "keep it real" on the 4th and take it easy on the cue. Burgers, dogs, beans, mac salad ,etc. We rock a ton of munchies and my favorite is simply radishes with a little salt served with beer.

my favorite is simply radishes with a little salt served with beer.
I have to ask if you have any Danish in the family tree. Radishes and a dish of cucumber salad is mandatory at all my families get togethers. Doesn't matter what else is being served those two items will be there.

No Danish, 100% German. Thought it was a German thing but you are exactly right, cucumber salad too!

Yup, Most of us Pennsylvania Dutch & Pennsylvania German love Radishes & Cucumber Salad.
And Sauerkraut.

Bear

Reactions: zwiller
OMG, the thought of the 4th chowing down on radishes and drinking beer while prepping the food for the grill... Maybe some pickled beets? :p

Anyway the point I was making with radishes is to be sure and have some cold sides too and they can be as simple as sliced veggies. Yin and yang, compare and contrast. Hot and cold, sweet and sour, healthy and fried, etc.

Watermelon Tempura sticks with a cream cheese dipping sauce is a big hit around my place, especially if you do it fondue style. So far no one I know has figured it out. Prosciutto and melon can be battered and fried as well.

Hey All,

Fiesta Shrimp Ceviche

1-2 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp olive oil

I had to come and search out your fiesta shrimp ceviche recipe. I thought I'd saved it. It is one of the things I'm making tomorrow to celebrate Independence Day. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Reactions: The Butt Man
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky