What is this Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mberrier

Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
A friend gave me a pack of meat. We thawed it and it is 2 pieces. Thought it was Picanha but the fat cap is thin and the grain doesn't look like it. It comes from Snake River Farms. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_4109.jpg
    IMG_4109.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4110.jpg
    IMG_4110.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4111.jpg
    IMG_4111.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 105
What about Ribeye cap? Both pieces are the same cut.

I dont think it's the ribeye cap, sort of looks like it has the markings of where it was cut off the ribs.

Short ribs from under the front shoulder, and a Tri-tip from the opposite end (sirloin) is what it looks like, but odd that they were packed together.

What about Ribeye cap? Both pieces are the same cut.
Guys...
The man says both pieces are the same cut, so it's not Boneless Chuck Short Rib AND Tri-tip, one or the other.
And it for sure looks to have been taken off the ribs, so....
Also, IIRC Chuck Short ribs have grain running two directions under the fat cap.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bigfurmn and TNJAKE
Guys...
The man says both pieces are the same cut, so it's not Boneless Chuck Short Rib AND Tri-tip, one or the other.
And it for sure looks to have been taken off the ribs, so....
Also, IIRC Chuck Short ribs have grain running two directions under the fat cap.
That's why you need to come back to the forum more often so us noobs can learn lol. Miss your posts

Reactions: bigfurmn
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky