What is the difference between a pit barrel smoker and a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
I've been looking to pick up yet another smoker and these two seem to be very similar in how they smoke food. Does anyone know the pros, cons, and differences between the two?

Peace

I went thru the same internal conversation. It's just me and my wife, so I didn't think the capacity difference would be much of a concern. Bottom line for me, though, was the capacity. Both grates on the 22.5" WSM can be fully loaded (20-25 lb turkey on each grate, for example). The volume of food for family gatherings, block parties, and company potlucks (when I worked) made the 22.5" WSM my choice. Or, I use one grate and that's plenty for me and my wife.

The smoked result is probably very similar between the two. I say that because I've used the WSM like a PPS by removing the water pan.

Folks are happy with the PPS. You can't go wrong with either the PPS or the WSM.

Reactions: Daba's BBQ
I started with a bullet smoker close to 50 years ago. Have built a few barrel cookers. Difference? One comes with water pans the other doesn't.

I graduated from a MES 30 to a WSM 18.5. Wish I had gotten the 22". The 18.5 can fit a full packer on the top, two ribs flat, three vertical in a rack. I never really use the second grate.

I also got the Fireboard 2 and BBQ guru fan for truly set it and forget it BBQ. I would put butts on before bed and have fresh pulled pork for lunch. I also love to barbecue chicken over the open coal bed by removing the water pan.

I've also used the WSM as a charcoal grill a la Smokey Joe style/Little Black Egg.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky