What is the Chili Powder (McCormick's or similar)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I leave in Italy and just purchased Jeff's rub receipt. I can find all the ingredients but not the Chili Powder (McCormick's or similar)
What is it?
I read on McCormick's site that is a bland of different spices... (https://www.mccormick.com/spices-and-flavors/herbs-and-spices/spices/chili-powder)
but what can I use in Italy?

any suggestion?

Thank you!
M
Hi there and welcome!

With a quick internet search from the US, I found this available in Italy https://romafinefoods.com/en/seasonings/aglio-macinato-vaso-400g#/73-pack-vaso_m_180g
The only drawback is it says "Hot" so I don't know how hot that is since US standards and various EU standards of hot are not the same lol.

McCormick's Chili powder is a Mexican style Chili Powder.
It's my understanding that historically this type of chili powder is made with Ancho peppers. Ancho peppers are ripened red Poblano peppers that are dried.

McCormick's is very likely Ancho peppers as the main pepper, Paprika, some other non-spicy pepper, salt, and maybe a pinch of oregano all ground up.
Cayenne is the pepper added to increase heat if you want a hotter version of this chili powder, plus cayenne taste amazing when the heat isn't overpowering the flavor!

I would suggest avoiding adding any Cumin (Cumino) in a chili powder product that you buy or make. Even small amounts of Cumin start to change the flavor profile and you may want to make a dish with Mexican chili powder but No cumin in it. Or cumin may be added as a separate seasoning so it can be more easily controlled since it is such a game changing seasoning.

To give you an example of how Cumin will change the flavor of a dish.
If you have a Bolognese sauce with a No-cumin-chili-powder like I mention above, it will still taste like a pepper spiced Bolognese. Still Bolognese though.

If you then add cumin you will change it from Bolognese to American chili or a Mexican Chili con Carne sauce flavor. That means a completely different dish.

I hope this info helps you hunt for a proper set of powders for the seasoning. Let me know if this makes sense :)

it's great! thank you... in italy we are not used to seasoning and rubs (we have very few and basic ones :( )and for me is a new galaxy I've started exploring!

it's great! thank you... in italy we are not used to seasoning and rubs (we have very few and basic ones :( )and for me is a new galaxy I've started exploring!
I understand.

This type of seasoning is going to open you up to a whole new world of food and flavors! You are using it for barbecue (BBQ) but it easily shifts to making Mexican and Tex-Mex and then Creole/Cajun and American South/Southwest foods. Those types of food are all know for being very flavorful and tasking amazing!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky