What is the best way to cut logs into rounds to turn into chunks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
I don't really like the idea of using smoker wood that has chainsaw bar oil all over it and a sawzal takes forever.

Thank you.
Dan

I had some hickory from a tree we cut down at my parents house a number of years back. Storm took the top out of 3 trees. It was a huge tree. A commercial tree company did the removal, but I asked them to cut the main trunk into firewood length pieces and leave it (these pieces were like 2.5 to 3' in diameter). Rolled them onto my utility trailer and after a few trips got all the cut to length rounds home. I ended up renting a spliter to make firewood out of it. Probably got a cord and a half of premium hickory out of it. I took some of the splits without bark and cut them into fist size chunks and shorts for my WSM. That was like 10 years ago and I still have a couple of boxes of that hickory for the WSM in the basement. Bandsaw would work also (of course this is all assuming someone has one of these saws).

Reactions: forktender
I actually gave away my little Craftsman band saw last yr, to a kid that was getting to turning pens.
It would've been perfect for the amount I need to cut up.
I guess I'll just keep using the Skilsaw and Sawzal for now.

Thank you.

Could ya clean your saw and then run vegetable oil? jus thinking out loud at 6am.

You can always go Charles Ingalls on the wood and use a hand saw.

Chris

Like some of the other guys I’ve used my chop saw to do this, but it helps if your saw has a good vise...because like Rob said, you can get some kickback if the log isn’t secured properly.

Red

Chop saw here also. You have to keep rotating the piece you are cutting ( not while you are cutting )so the branch is resting on the table and not up off it. The nice thing is the dust collection bag collects the saw dust for future cold smoking. Last time i cut i saved all the apple wood dust in a 5 gal pail and my wife thought it was garbage and threw it out.

Could ya clean your saw and then run vegetable oil? jus thinking out loud at 6am.
LOL.....I'll buy wood before I try cleaning my saw.
I actually thought of that as well but with mineral oil.

I tried my chopsaw a couple times and got some nasty kicks from it. I like the bandsaw better.

Like some of the other guys I’ve used my chop saw to do this, but it helps if your saw has a good vise...because like Rob said, you can get some kickback if the log isn’t secured properly.

Red

C15A02F2-301B-4E56-99B7-F8B5A82C8C18.jpeg

90A1A5CA-4533-47D1-9C94-98473015740A.jpeg

How about this for kickback? Lol.

I was using it to cut splits into smaller pieces when a small piece of wood got caught between the blade and the housing, causing the blade to deflect through it.

The saw and miter stand just flew up out of my hand. It happened so fast and scared the living sh*t out of me!

I use my sawzall anymore. At least I got a new bigger and better saw out of my mishap.

View attachment 391976
View attachment 391977

How about this for kickback? Lol.

I was using it to cut splits into smaller pieces when a small piece of wood got caught between the blade and the housing, causing the blade to deflect through it.

The saw and miter stand just flew up out of my hand. It happened so fast and scared the living sh*t out of me!

I use my sawzall anymore. At least I got a new bigger and better saw out of my mishap.
That's exactly what I was talking about. The guard on my saw is now jammed and no longer works thanks to a similar incident. I haven't had the chance to pull it apart yet to see if it is permanent damage or hopefully just some small pieces of wood jammed.

That's exactly what I was talking about. The guard on my saw is now jammed and no longer works thanks to a similar incident. I haven't had the chance to pull it apart yet to see if it is permanent damage or hopefully just some small pieces of wood jammed.

Rob,

I wrote to Hitachi about it before I even touched it. The repair on the miter saw was more than what I paid for it.

I didn’t want to fix it myself because I outgrew the saw and didn’t want to sink money into it. Plus, I was also worried about internal damage besides the metal housing.

I needed something bigger so I bought a 12” compound slider from Dewalt.

So I ended up scrapping the old 10” Hitachi. My father in law has the same saw so I pulled some parts from it for him....like the power cord and switch assembly and the arbor washers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky