What is the best overall electric smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

andrew82

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
Winston Salem, NC
Hello all! I have been smoking for several months now with a 22.5 WSM. It produces great BBQ but I was also in the market for a great electric smoker as well. something with some size to it. I was going to get the MES 40 with the window but just making sure with the pros if thats the way to go. I like the "digital" aspect of it when Im feeling too lazy for live fire. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cookshack has a line of electric and pellet commercial smokers that are hard to beat IMO

http://store.cookshack.com/c-69-smokers.aspx

I have never used a MES so my opinion may be a bit biased.

I had used several variations of Brinkmen’s, charcoal, gas, and electric. I bought my first Cookshack around 2000 or so because I saw one in a well known local restaurant.   That and I researched them. I liked what I saw.

My first Cookshack was the Smokette model. I think I paid around $600 for it with the stand, a cover, some odds and ends, and shipping from Cabela's. I think the smoker by itself was around $325. Today, I think, the Smokette and all the crap I bought with it would be around $800 with the shipping from Cabaea’s.

The only problem I have ever had with my Smokette was when I did wings I would have to load it 3 times to get the job done, but then I will do a heaped up roaster full when I do wings.

Last March I bought a Cookshack AmeriQue so I could have more capacity. I had plans of leaving my Smokette at my cabin so I wouldn’t have to drag the AmeriQue back and forth. Last month someone offered me $600 for it so I sold it, I kind of wish I wouldn’t have now because I was still using the Smokette once a month or so.

I use the AmeriQue almost every weekend. I have never had a temperature fluctuation with either smoker. All Cookshack smokers have 850insulation. I have never thought twice about starting either smoker up at 9:00 PM, throwing in a brisket, going to bed at 10:00, and not worrying about them till what ever time I woke up and decided to start getting around in the morning.  Below zero smoking? No problem.

Cookshack is an American company. Their smokers are American made. Should you ever have a need to call customer service you get to talk a real person (no recordings) who: has used the smoker, knows what you are talking about, and is able to solve whatever problem you are having.  No run around.

Stop by the Cookshack forum and check it out http://forum.cookshack.com/eve . Look for Mainely Dave. Dave is a diabetic who bought a Smokette and started a blog to conical his smoking experiences with his new toy.

I hope I was able to help, but like I said I am a little bit biased when it comes to my Cookshack

There are lots of good electric smokers out there but I think the 40" MES is the one most of our members rave about more than any other

I think that the mes is a great unit,i have a mes30 but would love a 40! Do some shopping around and some searches on the forum and get the one that best suits your needs!

Had an MES 30---It was great, but too small.

Got an MES 40, all stainless steel, window in door, wheels, remote control that controls everything, light inside, built in accurate meat probe, 1200 watt, all for $349 from Cabela's, minus $20 coupon.

Their normal price is $399 at Cabela's, but often have $349 sale plus coupons.

Sams has same one for $299, but that one isn't all Stainless Steel.

Either one is the best thing on the market for the money.

Bear

MES 40" Is the way to go . Using mine again tomorrow.

Had an MES 30---It was great, but too small.

Got an MES 40, all stainless steel, window in door, wheels, remote control that controls everything, light inside, built in accurate meat probe, 1200 watt, all for $349 from Cabela's, minus $20 coupon.

Their normal price is $399 at Cabela's, but often have $349 sale plus coupons.

Sams has same one for $299, but that one isn't all Stainless Steel.

Either one is the best thing on the market for the money.

Bear
What he said!

Todd

IMHO

#1 - Cookshack

#2 - SmokinTex

#3 - MES

I own a MES 30 and a 40, I would love to afford a Cookshack or a SmokinTex, but I think best value for my budget in an electric is a MES.

Lots of MES owners on here, and I'm a former Cookshack owner. Sold it before the big move to the Island. Loved that smoker - 23 year old unit and never had an issue with it.  Price seems to be the biggest issue.

For the price I don't think you can beat a MES. Another option would be to get a BBQ Guru temp controller for your WSM. Same idea you just set it & leave it alone. It will hold a steady temp. until the charcoal runs out.

Cookshack is a great product..would love to have one.

I get along ok with my MES 30.

Plenty of room for the 2 of us and it holds a lot more.

I use it 2/3 times a week.

$179 delivered from Amazon.

Have a great day!

Craig

I'm a newbie so I offer little advice. But I did alot of Reading and web surfing before I purchased My MES 40.So many thumbs up on the Mes. For the money you cant go wrong.

I am still looking for an electric smoker. I notice that Master Electronic Smoker (MES) is one of the most popular brands after going through a lot of the thread on here and reading reviews on websites.

I am a bit tight on money for the next few months. Should I get a used MES or a brand new electronic smoker of another brand? I am looking at the MES 30 inch one since it seems to be the most popular model with pretty good reviews. Or should I save up for the 40? I have cookouts maybe once a month so I am kind of leaning toward just saving for the better model.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still looking for an electric smoker. I notice that Master Electronic Smoker (MES) is one of the most popular brands after going through a lot of the thread on here and reading reviews on websites.

I am a bit tight on money for the next few months. Should I get a used MES or a brand new electronic smoker of another brand? I am looking at the MES 30 inch one since it seems to be the most popular model with pretty good reviews. Or should I save up for the 40? I have cookouts maybe once a month so I am kind of leaning toward just saving for the better model.
If you can wait, save your money for the next MES 40 model, or the older Gen #1 model. Stay away from the Gen #2 model.

Bear

mage=noimage_avail&&resmode=sharp2&op_usm=1.5,.8,1.jpg

I assume this is 2nd generation?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky