what is pork shoulder chuck roast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jsmith78

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Kitsap County, WA
I went shopping really early this morning.  I picked up a pork shoulder chuck roast for 1.18/lb.  They had a picnic shoulder, no boston butt there.  Is there another name for pork shoulder chuck roast?  I am gonna make some pulled pork out of it in a couple weeks when I have time to do it.   I just never heard of a pork chuck roast before.

thanks,

James

cool.gif

Well to me it sounds like a boston butt. But I'm not an expert by any means of the word.

How many pounds was it?  If it was 2-4 lbs., then what you've got is the tail end of the pork butt once the pork (blade cut) steaks have been sawed off.  They merchandise the pork steaks at a higher price to offset a lower price on the rest; store probably does not make it's own sausages.

It is 6.27lbs bone in and has fat marbeling.  I think it will make really good pulled pork, as long as I do it right.  I have a really good idea now, but will read more before I start smoking it. I want to make my own either BBQ sauce or vinegar based sauce for it.  I don't remember ever trying a vinegar based sauce before.  How does it compare to BBQ sauce on sandwiches?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky