What is peeling off the rear interior wall of my MES? (pic included)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

benfinkel

Original poster
Aug 10, 2020
I haven't used the smoker in about a year, and I'm getting it cleaned and fixed up again and the back wall has..this going on. Any idea what I'm seeing?

Attachments

• IMG_20200811_132120.jpg
    IMG_20200811_132120.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 71
The black stuff is your standard creosote buildup,the other orange looking stuff looks like some type of mold.From what I can tell from the pic is that as of your last smoke drippings from whatever you cooked came into contact with the back wall and eventually mold grew,this is why I run my smoker at high temp for a little while after the smoke is done to burn off any nasties.

All you need is a stiff plastic spatula and really stiff small head nylon brush and remove the gross build up.Then run your smoker at full temp for 1/2-1 hour to burn off anything else and you should be good to go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky