What do you wanna pull???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which cut do you prefer for pulled pork?

• Pork Butt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pork Picnic Shoulder

• Don't have a preference

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ultramag

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Garden City, MO
I just thought it would be interesting to see what everybody prefered for their pulled pork. This assuming equal price, equal accessibility, all things equal, just which cut you like.

I am a butt man myself. :shock: 8)

I see we picked up a vote for the shoulder. Since it is the one I don't use hardly at all I would like to know what about it you prefer. Not looking to knock your choice, just gain knowledge from your experience!!!

Chad, I haven't voted on your poll yet, but I'm going to post this as a sticky topic for a week; that way it won't get buried in the other topic threads.

Dang it!! Since I edited your original post, Chad it won't let me vote. But I perfer a butt to a picnic shoulder but I have done both-some times during the same smoke session.

Why thank you Dutch!! I kinda figured the ol butt would pull out ahead in the poll but I have been surprised by how much so far.

I would still like to hear why you prefer the picnic shoulder if you do.

I guess you could say I'm a butt man. The fat content and structure of muscle fiber lend themselves to a better end product IMHO. Picnic's tighter, leaner meat lends itself well to slicing when cooked to well done as opposed "cooked till broken down" like a good pulled butt.

that's our $0.02 worth, and doggone it Dutch, I wanted to vote!

Chad, If I'm going to pull the meat I'll use the butt and if slicing I'll go with the picnic for the same reasons that Dickey mentioned, that and whichever one is on sale. :P

Dickey, I'll see what tweeking I can do to the orginal post.
Okay, it working. Vote away!!

Either works for me, I can't find a Shoulder to save my Butt nowadays.
icon_mrgreen.gif
I've been pulling Loins lately with great success. Smoke On.
PDT_Armataz_01_42.gif

I would love to pull the rug out from under the Yankees, redsox, tampa and the jays, then maybe my O's could find a way to win the AL east.
icon_mrgreen.gif

My Dad was a breast man, but my brother & I have always favored a nice leg & butt best.
icon_redface.gif

Bearcarver

Gotta go with the butt myself(like the fat content), but they are both delicious when done proprerly.

I go with a boston butt any chance I get. in the 8-10 lb range.
if one is not available, i have done shoulders and picnics that were almost as good. Getting ready to put a boston butt on early tomorrow morning! cant wait!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky