1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What do you think of the smoker part of this brick combo?

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by davgam, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Hi folks, 

I'm considering building a brick Argentine grill and smoker pretty much along the lines as shown in this video:

That time lapse video is just fun to watch period but this set up would scratch all my cooking itches to cook over wood fire as a grill and for smoking. 

The guy who made this one was also kind enough to post some diagrams and a material list: http://www.ralfgomm.com/BBQ.pdf

My question for you experienced smokers is if the smoker portion of this design looks like a good one to you. It's a basic vertical smoker with a five foot tall chamber, with a 16x17.5 grate. Think that would smoke reasonably well? Venting ok? He has just one in the fire door. I think it would be fine for my need size wise although it may be a bit snug for a turkey. 

Thanks for your comments. 

David

2. After poking around a bit more on the forum, I'm now leaning toward doing an offset brick pit like PJ created here:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/136400/adventures-in-la-brick-smoker/40

but I would add some length beyond the firebox and put the argentine-style grill on top of that, leaving some room for additional counter space. Or perhaps bolt a shelf on the end. 

I saw another design that had a lid on top of the firebox that you can open and convert it into a grill but I wonder if that creates poor solutions for both smoking and grilling by splitting the difference. 

Called the city today and I found out I won't have to pull a permit to build a bbq pit, so that's makes life a bit easier.

3. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Dav, evening... There are some drawbacks to a brick smoker.... The amount of thermal mass can take many hours to get to temp.... I had a block smoker 4x4x10 that took 24 hours to get to temp.... that's a lot of wood.... Just sayin'..... they do hold a pretty uniform temp once you get them dialed in....

Dave

4. Thanks Dave, that's certainly a consideration. The chargriller that I'm about to retire already burns through a lot of fuel since it's more of a sieve than a smoker after the abuse I've heaped on it. I'd love to get to something more efficient.

At risk of appearing schizophrenic, I've come back around to buying a manufactured smoker rather than building a brick one. As I added up component costs and some of the work I would need to hire out (like laying the slab, making doors), plus my wife not being too thrilled with the idea of a pile of brick in the back yard, I realized it wouldn't save much money and would be a lot more work! Another factor is that I've never laid brick although I'm fairly certain I could have figured it out. I would have had some false starts though, I'm sure. 

It was a fun thought exercise for a few days though!