What do you Have??? Unusual Regional Food...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
It is that time of year out here in Central PA...The St. Thomas Ox Roast season starts! St Thomas is a small town of about 6000 residents in Franklin County. The local Lions Club, 61 years so far, as well as township Church's and Firehouse's will hold Ox Roasts at various times over the next few months as Fund Raisers. They not only draw from the Township but also from miles away in the surrounding Counties. The Unusual and amazing thing to me is WHAT they serve...It is not actually Ox but huge hunks of Beef Top Round...BOILED!...The meat is cooked in Water with some Salt and Pepper until it Falls apart!...That's it!
icon_eek.gif
 No Herbs, Spices, Veggies, nothing!  The large events will cook upwards of 1300 Pounds...The people go Crazy over these Samiches adding their choice of Ketchup, Mustard and Onion. French Fries vendors are on site as well as Ice Cream. The remaining Stock from the cook is used to make Ox Noodle Soup. As a classically trained Chef I have Boiled, well actually simmered, a variety of meat but NEVER without the ubiquitous Mire Poix of Onion, Celery and Carrots with Thyme, Bay leaf, Parsley and Black Pepper...So...What Do You Have???...JJ

Inspired by the Maid-Rite post.

Last edited:
Chicken Halves cooked in a refirbished Manure Spreader  with S/P seasonings over Charcoal , Bland to say the least , no Brining or anything...
confused.gif
 , they have no idea...

Growing up in SE OH, I loved the chicken OldSchool mentioned, residing in PA for several years, I also got to try Chef Jimmy's Ox Roasts (ex and I were members of local Lions and Lioness Clubs...and the only thing that comes to mind here in CO is the Green Chile Festivals.

Chicken Halves cooked in a refirbished Manure Spreader  with S/P seasonings over Charcoal , Bland to say the least , no Brining or anything...
confused.gif
 , they have no idea...
Remind me to never travel to the Toledo area...

Only "odd" thing I can think of around here is a smelt fry. Its kinda like going to the local bait shop and buying a few dozen minnows, fry them up and eat them whole. Tails and heads add the crunch. Quite tasty actually. Goes best with some cheap beer

We get deep fried avocados and avocado ice cream every year during the Avocado Festival. This even1 brings 70K people into our little town in one day. Locals go before 9 and get out by 11 when the crowds start

Last edited:
We get deep fried avocados and avocado ice cream every year during the Avocado Festival. This even1 brings 70K people into our little town in one day. Locals go before 9 and get out by 11 when the crowds start
I made some deep fried avocados on my MAK. Stuffed with feda, onions, cheese and sausage.

922cd581_dfa2.jpg

then put together and breaded.

d8b88d57_dfa1.jpg

fried on my MAK

6f051db4_dfa.jpg

eat time

1e550947_dfa3.jpg

I made some deep fried avocados on my MAK. Stuffed with feda, onions, cheese and sausage.

922cd581_dfa2.jpg

then put together and breaded.

d8b88d57_dfa1.jpg

fried on my MAK

6f051db4_dfa.jpg

eat time

1e550947_dfa3.jpg
Those look way better than the one the do at the festival  - Awesome Rick

Not really unusual to us in the south but I know it's not real common up north, not sure about out west but I love them.......Boiled Peanuts!

Just about everything we cook down here is strange to the rest of the country. But we are spreading the word !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky