What Do I Need For Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shooterrick

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 13, 2008
South Louisiana
All the discussion about curing got me wanting to develop a recipe and procedure for beef summer sausage.  I believe I have found a recipe I can work with and with a bit of extra cash in my pocket from a bonus I figured why not get a few more things!  LOL

What I think I need since I have the grinders, stuffers, ect.

1.  2.5 inch mahogany fibrous casings for 15-20 lbs\

2.  Hog pliers and rings or are staples the best way to go or tie?  Idea: What about a 1/4 inch plier stapler for closing casings?

3  20 lbs mixer.  LOL  dont need but why not.

4  Dextrose since I dont have

5  Citric Acid to replace fermento since I dont have

6  2 more probe thermos.  Mabe try the Taylors since I have only Maveric products now and they are cheaper.

This may be the motivation I need to finish Gunny Smoker!  I can hang them that way.  Hmmmmm

Last edited:
1.  2.5 inch mahogany fibrous casings for 15-20 lbs\

2.  Hog pliers and rings or are staples the best way to go or tie?  Idea: What about a 1/4 inch plier stapler for closing casings?

3  20 lbs mixer.  LOL  dont need but why not.

4  Dextrose since I dont have

5  Citric Acid to replace fermento since I dont have

6  2 more probe thermos.  Mabe try the Taylors since I have only Maveric products now and they are cheaper.
Hog rings are definately the way to go!  Much easier when closing off the casings.

The mixer will be very handy.  I use big plastic tubs, but have had a mixer on my wish list for awhile.

I have been using the 20 dollar Oneida digitals.  Cheap, and I have had no problems with them.

I like adding crumbled sharp cheddar cheese to my summer sausage.  about 1 pound of cheese per 9 pounds meat is a good mix. 

Basic Summer Sausage  (The beginning point for me)

After looking at at least 10 different recipes I took what I liked from several and changed some ingredients to reflect my taste.
This recipe is an experimental batch and may change.

3 lbs beef strips, sliced
2 lbs Pork Butt  (boned and sliced)
1 tsp Cure #1
1.5 Tbs Kosher salt
4 tsp dry mustard
1.25 oz Dextrose
1.5 tsp coriander
2 tsp  garlic powder
1/4 cup soy concentrate
9 oz cubed American Cheese  (optional)
9 grams citric acid

1. Grind all meat  through a large plate and mix.

2. Add all dry ingredients except the Citric Acid and cheese and mix well.

3. Pack mixture into a container, pressing out any air pockets. Tightly cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 days.

4. Grind mixture through small plate.

5. Add the  citric acid and cheese (optional) and mix well.

6. Stuff the sausage into 21/2 to 3 inch fibrous casings.

7. Hang and allow to dry at room temperature for 2 hrs.

8. Add sausage to 130 F smoker and continue to dry for 1 hour or until casing is tacky

9. Gradually increase tempr until 160-170 F is reached.

10. Smoke until internal temp reaches 155 F

11. Place in an ice bath until internal temp is below 100 F.

12. Hang at room temp to bloom for several hours, then refrigerate overnight.

Servings: 40
Yield: 5.5 lbs

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/40 of a recipe (1.8 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients. 4 of the recipe's ingredients were not linked. These ingredients are not included in the recipe nutrition data.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 109.21
Calories From Fat (50%) 54.8
% Daily Value
Total Fat 6.13g 9%
Saturated Fat 2.69g 13%
Cholesterol 38.49mg 13%
Sodium 503mg 21%
Potassium 145.54mg 4%
Total Carbohydrates 0.28g <1%
Fiber 0.05g <1%
Sugar 0.04g
Protein 12.51g 25%

Tips
Substitute Venison for beef if desired

Last edited:
I have always been contenplating (?) on getting a meat mixer but mixing the meat and spices in a plastic tub is so easy and the clean up is so easy I cant see buying a mixer unless I made sausage commercially. good luck with the recipe and wil be waiting for the Q

Hey Rick

Great post and recipe format
icon_mrgreen.gif
  We are both using the Living Cookbook 2011 program

I am oddly looking at doing the same thing in January. Do you have a source for the cure yet? I was going to go to Butcher Packer or Sausage Maker but neither of them carries TQ and I want to get both from the same place to cut down shipping costs

Gary 

Hey Rick

Great post and recipe format
icon_mrgreen.gif
  We are both using the Living Cookbook 2011 program

I am oddly looking at doing the same thing in January. Do you have a source for the cure yet? I was going to go to Butcher Packer or Sausage Maker but neither of them carries TQ and I want to get both from the same place to cut down shipping costs

Gary 
Butcher and Packer carries both.

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=237_12&products_id=61  

Also both can be found on Amazon.

.  Tq can usually be found locally at specialty meat shops and if you have a good Italian Grocery they will probably have it.

I have always been contenplating (?) on getting a meat mixer but mixing the meat and spices in a plastic tub is so easy and the clean up is so easy I cant see buying a mixer unless I made sausage commercially. good luck with the recipe and wil be waiting for the Q
I have always mixed the same way so I will let you know if it is worth the trouble.  We not happen till after Christmas so be patient.  LOL

Shooter, I would get the automatic hog ring pliers, not the hand pliers. The hand pliers with the loose rings are clumsy to load and try to get closed good. The automatics work much better and are easy to handle while you have a stuffed sausage in your hand. They close the casing good and tight too.  

Well I ordered the automatic hog pliers, meat mixer 20lbs., dextrose, citric acid, a taylor thermometer, and a resupply of Instacure all in one place at amazon.  Heck the free shipping saved me a few bucks and I figured I was there might as well blow the bonus.  LOL   Lowsy picks but I jsut saved em off amazon.   The black pliers are what I ordered

71805175_hogpliersauto.jpg

0b39edc8_mixermeat.jpg

Get some high temp cheese too Rick and maybe some dehydrated jalapenos

I use garbage bag twisty ties, way quicker and less hassle than hog rings. Just my experience, they get cut off before portioning and freezing anyways. I am going to have to give this recipie a try, cept I am going to swap the beef for some mule deer. I have always wanted to try a recipe with citric acid, I love that tangy flavor it gives to the sausage.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky