What cut for a first timer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazyboy

Original poster
Oct 12, 2013
NJ
Good evening, I just purchased an MES and seasoned it.  I'm looking to have a go with some beef for slicing, and am not sure what I should give a go first. 

I suggest a chuck roast - it has enough fat and connective tissue to be forgiving if your temps are off, or you cook for to long. A good basic method: rub it with Worcestershire sauce, then rub it with salt, pepper, paprika, and some garlic powder. You can apply the rub the night before if you want, but try to give it at least a few hours.

Get your smoker running at 250°, put the roast on and let it ride till the internal temp hits 165°. Then wrap it in some foil with a cup of low sodium beef broth (or beer), and let it go until the internal temp hits 190° (for slicing) or 200° (for pulling). Once you hit your target internal temp pull it out of the smoker, drain the juices into a pan (save for drizzling), wrap the roast in foil and an old towel. Place it in a small dry cooler to rest for at least 1 hr. to rest.

Slice or pull the meat and drizzle with the de-fatted drippings. Enjoy! (and don't forget pictures!)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky