What can be substituted for oil for greek marinade

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dtsobel

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
West Hills (Los Angeles) CA
I have a recipe for greek Souvlaki kabobs.
the last batch I over did some and realized that it still tasted great.

I want to use this recipe for beef jerky.

The recipe uses olive oil. What can I substitute for the oil? it uses lemon juice, Red wine vinegar and spices.

Thanks

Doug

Last edited:
What was it that you didn't like about the olive oil? Not all olive oils are the same. If it is the olive oil flavor you didn't like try another one. If it is olive oil in general, you'd need to find a fat substitute such as peanut, coconut, or sunflower oil.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I have a recipe for greek Souvlaki kabobs. the last batch I over did some and realized that it still tasted great. The recipe uses olive oil. What can I substitute for the oil? it uses lemon juice, Red wine vinegar and spices.

Thanks

Doug

Hi there and welcome!

I would substitute olive oil with Sunflower Oil or Canola oil :)

The EVOO is there for IT's flavor and the carrier of Fat Soluble flavors in the Garlic, Herbs and Spices. You need some kind of Fat or folks will say, "Something's Missing!"
As above, if you don't like the Taste of your EVOO, try another brand. Light Olive Oil or a different type of oil is better than nothing.
Jcam222's suggestion of substituting Yogurt is a good one as well, Not Fat Free Please... The Yogurt adds good flavor, complimenting the Red Wine Vinegar and is a fabulous meat Tenderizer!...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
What was it that you didn't like about the olive oil? Not all olive oils are the same. If it is the olive oil flavor you didn't like try another one. If it is olive oil in general, you'd need to find a fat substitute such as peanut, coconut, or sunflower oil.
I've never used oil in any marinade for jerky. I thought it is not something that should be used.

The EVOO is there for IT's flavor and the carrier of Fat Soluble flavors in the Garlic, Herbs and Spices. You need some kind of Fat or folks will say, "Something's Missing!"
As above, if you don't like the Taste of your EVOO, try another brand. Light Olive Oil or a different type of oil is better than nothing.
Jcam222's suggestion of substituting Yogurt is a good one as well, Not Fat Free Please... The Yogurt adds good flavor, complimenting the Red Wine Vinegar and is a fabulous meat Tenderizer!...JJ
I've thought using oil in a marinade for jerky is something that shouldn't be used.

I thought oil shouldn't be used in jerky marinade.

JERKY?? Your first post says Kabobs,,.
Ok, I now see you put it in the JERKY FORUM.
Is Jerky your goal?

Yes, Oil in a Jerky Marinade, like Fat on the Meat, can go Rancid over time at Room Temp. This Rancidity is accelerated if exposed to Light.
However, if you plan to keep your Jerky in the Refer and it's not hanging around for Months, a couple of Tablespoons of EVOO won't hurt.

Classic and Common Marinade Recipes can't always be used directly to make Jerky without Modification. This is Especially true of Marinades containing Pureed Fruit or Juices and any Nitrite Cure! Some Fruits can make your Jerky mushy and well, too much Cure can kill you...JJ

Reactions: D.W.
Is Jerky your goal?

Yes, Oil in a Jerky Marinade, like Fat on the Meat, can go Rancid over time at Room Temp. This Rancidity is accelerated if exposed to Light.
However, if you plan to keep your Jerky in the Refer and it's not hanging around for Months, a couple of Tablespoons of EVOO won't hurt.

Classic and Common Marinade Recipes can't always be used directly to make Jerky without Modification. This is Especially true of Marinades containing Pureed Fruit or Juices and any Nitrite Cure! Some Fruits can make your Jerky mushy and well, too much Cure can kill you...JJ
Thanks. I want to use the recipe for jerky. My overdone kabobs were almost jerky, lol. It made me think I should use it for jerky.

What is EVOO? I won't use cure every one in my family except myself gets migraines. Nitrites triggers thrm.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil, if you really want to make jerky skip the oil and remember if no cure/nitrates you will need to keep refrigerated , shelf life will be short

Is Jerky your goal?

Read it the same way. I dont think that comment was in there last night about using it for beef jerky...

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I would use the marinade you enjoy, substituting Low fat Yogurt for the Oil.
No Cure means you need to heat your Jerky at 160°F for 10-15 minutes, then you reduce the heat to 130 or less and dehydrate to your desired doneness.
You will need to refrigerate your Jerky and freeze any you won't eat in a couple of weeks...JJ

I updated the original post to clarify as I guess i wasn't clear. Thanks

In that case I would substitute the water for the oil since all you are doing is making a liquid mixture for marinating.

You could also just leave out the oil component and scale up the existing ingredients so that the meat can marinate in it. This might be a better option unless they are just too powerful without being diluted by oil/water.

I personally would scale up the ingredients minus the oil juuuuust enough to where all of the meat was hit by the mixture without seeming overpowering.
You'll just have to experiment and see what works out lol :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky