• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LongSmoke1032

Original poster
Mar 22, 2020
Chicago
Hey all, new to the forum smoking and burning for a 1 1/2. Don’t know if I’m posting this in the correct place feel free to let me know. Well been smoking on a Dyna-Glo signature series not the best but hey, on a mission to build a custom smoker, I using 1/4 inch steel throughout and kinda gettjng to the point where I’m going to start welding this thing together.

My questions is what kind of high heat paint is best to use? Would it be safe to paint the inside with it?

Figured if I’m going to do this right might as well build a good smoker.

Hey all, new to the forum smoking and burning for a 1 1/2. Don’t know if I’m posting this in the correct place feel free to let me know. Well been smoking on a Dyna-Glo signature series not the best but hey, on a mission to build a custom smoker, I using 1/4 inch steel throughout and kinda gettjng to the point where I’m going to start welding this thing together.

My questions is what kind of high heat paint is best to use? Would it be safe to paint the inside with it?

Figured if I’m going to do this right might as well build a good smoker.
Do not paint inside .....spray lightly with peanut oil...outside best thing worked for me home depot gallon black satin paint ..found a gallon at my gf rental home tenant left it . No label ...worked great

Reactions: LongSmoke1032
Weaverspitbbq appreciate the response, ok so don’t spray the inside with paint but do spray it down with peanut oil ok got it. The Home Depot satin black is that in a spray can or will a sprayer need to be used. Appreciate the help here.

I have had good luck with Tremclad high heat spray bombs but it’s pricey. If it came in gallon jugs and applied with a spray gun it might be affordable

I've been looking for a lot of information about this, because apparently, it's not that easy, plus most of them are pretty expensive but not as good as they seem.

Here is the copper pot that motocrash motocrash noted above. The attached pic is as is 39 months after painting. It it has spent the last 18 months open to the weather and is showing a few pin holes of rust, which is expected as the steel the copper pot was built with was very rusted and pitted. I didn’t sand blast it before painting as was planned but that I believe would have eliminated the rust pins I have now. But after oiling the pins I believe I will get many more years from it even with it being exposed.... I would use it again and will do so for my our X-Fire build
54CD944E-C0CD-4484-8F71-0097C56A7E56.jpeg

you can see how rusty the steel was in the build thread.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...h-vertical-cabinet-aka-the-copper-pot.268790/

I've been looking for a lot of information about this, because apparently, it's not that easy, plus most of them are pretty expensive but not as good as they seem.
The key to any paint system is prep and primer. Prep in the form of blasting, power brushing, hand brushing, and sometimes rounding off sharp edges. Clean and slightly rough will allow primer adhere better. Rustoleum makes a 2000° primer and some automotive engine primers could be higher. The first step is called a 'stripe coat', and you spray any of the hard-to-cover areas with a band of primer, and let dry. You can feather this in with some fine sandpaper. The next coat(s) of primer covers the stripe areas, plus fills in the other areas.

After the primer is well cured, a hi temp top coat is used. The Rustoleum 1200° black is a better choice than the 500° 'grill' paint. Automotive hi temp paints are available if you are looking for a better selection of colors.

Hopefully your smoker will not get as hot as some of the exhaust headers I have seen some of the automotive high heat paints get used on and still look good. I do recommend that if you use the automotive paint you build a fire as hot as soon as you can to "set" it to really harden it. What I have used in the past is kinda soft and can scratch easily or wash off with a gas soaked rag for example for quite a while until that happens. Good luck to you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky