What are your top 3 all-time favorite western movies?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Definitely not a traditional Western... more like a "Western" along the same line as "Blazing Saddles" is...

I saw "A Million Ways to Die in the West" -- I'm chuckling to myself thinking about it again! Here's the IMDb link (it's on HBOMax now):

IMDb Link with a preview video
That was hilarious.......get you a blue jay pecking and an ear nail!

Reactions: DinnerIsComing
Definitely not a traditional Western... more like a "Western" along the same line as "Blazing Saddles" is...

I saw "A Million Ways to Die in the West" -- I'm chuckling to myself thinking about it again! Here's the IMDb link (it's on HBOMax now):

IMDb Link with a preview video
What else can you say but... :emoji_laughing:

Think I need to watch that one!

Ryan

Reactions: DinnerIsComing
That actor (who is really a singer songwriter named Ryan Bingham) is awesome!

Yellowstone has such amazing music in the show because they originally consulted him to help with song selection, song direction, etc.

I'm fortunate enough to hear a majority of those songs and that style of actual country music where I'm located. I'm glad the show gets to bring it to a more mainstream audience who can hear some real good music they never knew of since they are inundated with stuff that the pop-country music machine pushes down everyone's throat like basically everything Luke Bryan and bands like Florida Georgia Line and Little Big Town do haha :D
You are very fortunate to have such great music on your airwaves.

1669757912830.png

Tombstone is one of my favorite movies - period.

One I didn't notice mentioned here yet is Dances With Wolves. Is that a western? I think it qualifies.

Louis L'Amour is one of my favorite writers. How the West Was Won is a great movie and usually books are adapted into movies, but he adapted that movie into a novel. If you like audiobooks, some of his stuff is free on Audible.

The Postman is kind of a western. Check it out for a sleeper candidate.

EDIT: I see now that Dances With Wolves did get a vote earlier!

View attachment 649766

Tombstone is one of my favorite movies - period.

One I didn't notice mentioned here yet is Dances With Wolves. Is that a western? I think it qualifies.

Louis L'Amour is one of my favorite writers. How the West Was Won is a great movie and usually books are adapted into movies, but he adapted that movie into a novel. If you like audiobooks, some of his stuff is free on Audible.

The Postman is kind of a western. Check it out for a sleeper candidate.

EDIT: I see now that Dances With Wolves did get a vote earlier!
Love Louis L'Amour! Have read a bunch of his books, but not all...some have been read more than once.

Ryan

Reactions: Retired Spook
You are very fortunate to have such great music on your airwaves.
I sure am. There is a station called KHYI that plays that kind of stuff and other amazing music as well. No sexy tractor songs on it and you can get bands and songs played years before the artist may ever make it big.

Heard lots of Tyler Childers, Chris Stapleton, Zac Brown Band, Brent Cobb, Chris Knight, etc. years before they got any notoriety or got enlisted to write songs for big name artists. Also you will hear anything from Hank Sr. to Blue Grass to some relevant people out there breaking through today that are not normal mainstream Pop-Country :)

You can find KHYI the Range online and listen here for free:

Enjoy it!

I sure am. There is a station called KHYI that plays that kind of stuff and other amazing music as well. No sexy tractor songs on it and you can get bands and songs played years before the artist may ever make it big.

Heard lots of Tyler Childers, Chris Stapleton, Zac Brown Band, Brent Cobb, Chris Knight, etc. years before they got any notoriety or got enlisted to write songs for big name artists. Also you will hear anything from Hank Sr. to Blue Grass to some relevant people out there breaking through today that are not normal mainstream Pop-Country :)

Enjoy it!
Tyler Childers is our jam. Also really like Benjamin Tod and Arlo McKinley

Enjoy it!
Fantastic. Bookmarked. Thank you sir; that is some good music!

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm
That actor (who is really a singer songwriter named Ryan Bingham) is awesome!

Yellowstone has such amazing music in the show because they originally consulted him to help with song selection, song direction, etc.

I'm fortunate enough to hear a majority of those songs and that style of actual country music where I'm located. I'm glad the show gets to bring it to a more mainstream audience who can hear some real good music they never knew of since they are inundated with stuff that the pop-country music machine pushes down everyone's throat like basically everything Luke Bryan and bands like Florida Georgia Line and Little Big Town do haha :D
He he....

1669767539679.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky