What are y’all using for heat source?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Doct1218

Original poster
Jan 23, 2020
I’m building a smoker, I’m just not sure what to use as the heat source and I’m open to all ideas. My smoker is roughly 2’ W x 2’ D x 4-4.5’ H. I’ll cold smoke when temp allows but would like to be able to get to 170-180 degrees. TIA

Is it insulated at all? Or will it be insulated? Mine is close to that size and I use a 1500w electric element in mine. I never use it for anything over 170°

I like charcoal for the flavor. My smoker is an insulated cabinet type and I added a small electric burner to keep it up to temp in the winter for cold smokes. I can run my smoker with charcoal from about 130 - 400 F degrees.

So you’re just putting charcoal in a pan on the electric burner?

I would use a pellet burner/smoker and use wood as the cabinet uninsulated.
I have smoke tubes so I’m not as concerned about smoke but I need heat but if I can have one thing to do both (heat and smoke) that be preferable. I’ve seen heating elements and small burners. Does there seem to be a preference?

This is what I have in mine. Then I just use a controller to set the temp I want
Screenshot_20200123-115445.png

Reactions: JC in GB
I have smoke tubes so I’m not as concerned about smoke but I need heat but if I can have one thing to do both (heat and smoke) that be preferable. I’ve seen heating elements and small burners. Does there seem to be a preference?
This is what I'm talking about, temp. setting goes from smoke to 450*

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky