• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What are y’all using for heat source?

Doct1218

Joined Jan 23, 2020
I’m building a smoker, I’m just not sure what to use as the heat source and I’m open to all ideas. My smoker is roughly 2’ W x 2’ D x 4-4.5’ H. I’ll cold smoke when temp allows but would like to be able to get to 170-180 degrees. TIA

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Joined Oct 18, 2017
Is it insulated at all? Or will it be insulated? Mine is close to that size and I use a 1500w electric element in mine. I never use it for anything over 170°

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
I like charcoal for the flavor. My smoker is an insulated cabinet type and I added a small electric burner to keep it up to temp in the winter for cold smokes. I can run my smoker with charcoal from about 130 - 400 F degrees.

Doct1218

Joined Jan 23, 2020
I would use a pellet burner/smoker and use wood as the cabinet uninsulated.
I have smoke tubes so I’m not as concerned about smoke but I need heat but if I can have one thing to do both (heat and smoke) that be preferable. I’ve seen heating elements and small burners. Does there seem to be a preference?

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Joined Oct 18, 2017
This is what I have in mine. Then I just use a controller to set the temp I want
Screenshot_20200123-115445.png

diezelsmoke

Joined Jan 23, 2020
I have smoke tubes so I’m not as concerned about smoke but I need heat but if I can have one thing to do both (heat and smoke) that be preferable. I’ve seen heating elements and small burners. Does there seem to be a preference?
This is what I'm talking about, temp. setting goes from smoke to 450*

amazon" style="max-width:120px">

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.