What are Robots?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Pardon my ignorance but I noticed this: Total: 734 (members: 19, guests: 496, robots: 219)
in the "Members Online Now" section along the right side of the home page.

What are Robots? I'm sure they are not like R2D2. Right?

Thanks to the computer savvy,

John

Last edited:
Robots are the "spiders" that crawl around the web, reading stuff so the search engines can find it for you later, in RECORD time.. "usually" they have specific words they catalog for later retrieval....

Robots, spiders, and the like, are information grabbing software's. In a nut shell, they look for cookies from websites to see what interesting places you've been or go.
Then they do things like insert ads on websites away from those. Like when I go see what my friends are up to at an Astrophotography site I visit, I get different ads on the page for Thermometers, for example. Or smokers.
I went to SmokenIt web site, then got a lot of ads shown on other web sites I go to that have nothing to do with smoking anything. For an example.
I learned decades ago to just ignore most advertising. I developed a sort of "tunnel vision". But once in a blue moon I might click on something to take a look.
But it's a cold day in hell when I actually buy something from one of those excursions.

First, a web site cannot get your browser's cookies that were put onto your computer from other web sites.

The robots/spiders simply retrieve the public content from every website, index it, and then let you search it. Google is obviously the most famous of these search engines that uses spiders.

So, there is some confusion being introduced in the posts above. Yes, there are ways to track your behavior, but none of these are done by spiders. The site you are on (including this one) does tracking via cookies. Once the site has established a "connection" with your browser, unless you turn off cookies, that site can send a small, unique code to your computer (a "cookie") and your browser will store that code, along with thousands of others, in the cookie cache. When you re-visit the same site, that site can ask for any cookies that it put into your browser, retrieve them, and then know it is you.

These cookies not only let the site recognize you so you don't have to log on each time you visit, but can also be used to track what you click on. This lets the site offer suggestions that might be useful to you. Amazon does this better than almost any other site, where they offer product suggestions based on past behavior.

Another type of tracking is when you click on a link to go to some external site. The site to which you link can be told which site you were on, and the referring site can get a "kick-back" fee for the referral.

Finally (well, finally for me, because there is much more to this topic), if you click on an ad, you are not actually taken directly to the site, even though it may feel like that. Instead, most ad clicks are directed through an intermediate site which logs the referral, so the referring site can get paid; takes care of actually generating invoices and payments; but most important to we users, it plants a cookie in your computer, and when you are on a completely unrelated site, that cookie can be retrieved by another site, but only by going back to this intermediate company who is the only company that can retrieve that cookie, because they put it on your browser. It is that intermediate ad company that provides the "magic" of correlating your behavior across multiple web sites. Without that intermediary, no web site can know what you have done at other sites.

I don't normally provide links to other forums because, unlike this forum which has a very high percentage of knowledgeable people, most sites contain more junk than not. However, the first few posts in this conversation provides more meat to what I just described:

Can a webpage read another page's cookies?

Here is more about it John (BandCollector).
https://kb.iu.edu/d/aeub

They are spies.

As I've said before, I accept the web, it's pitfalls, and even the people I run across.
Including the pollution, such as crap from on place washing up on another.
I know how to ignore things. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: BandCollector
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky