wetting your wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chancy smith

Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
I have my first question, 

I have a homemade trailer smoker with a nice size fire box, ive smoked in it twice and the second time i took some advice from a friend and did not soke my apple wood in water before putting it in the fire box.  It just burnt up and not much smoke.  I generaly start a fire in the fire box with hedge wood let it burn down and add apple wood that has been soaking over night in a bucket.  my friend says that the watter does nothing but lower the temp in the fire box.  i think it smokes alot better.  what do you guys do?   i want good smoke flavor, help.

IMHO, soaking is a waste of time.  The water has to evaporate before the wood will burn or smoke, so soaking just delays the smoke.  Plus, the amount of water wood will absorb in a few hours is minimal anyway.  The way to control your smoke is by controlling how hot your fire is and how much oxygen it gets.

Soak a piece of wood overnight then cut it in half and inspect the cross section and see how deep the water penetrated. I bet you will be surprised.

Wet wood will put off a lot of steam at first which a lot of people confuse with being smoke.

Chancy,

My experience is that a smaller, hotter, more condensed fire is better than a larger one.    Using smaller splits or chunks of wood will help minimize spikes in temperature.

I was real bad about wanting to look inside, and luckily some good folks here reminded me to keep the lid closed.  I was letting all the smoke out, and all the oxygen in. 

The rule is "if you're looking, you're not cooking".

I realized I was being impatient and causing my own problem.  I am better now thanks to all our friends at SMF.

Good luck with your efforts!!!

Wood absorbs very little water. Theres a reason they used it to make boats. Soaking does nothing but delay the smoke process.

Last edited:
So my fire was prob too hot when i put my smoking wood in, and it just burned up.  I need to cut the o2 to the fire when i add the wood and it will smoke more.  just enough 02 to keep the temp up?

Sounds like a stick burner.. I would very much recommend not soaking your wood. Lots of wise words so far. You just need to build a smaller fire and get it smoldering correctly. Adjust the FB dampers for a little less air and make sure to keep the exhaust wide open. I would try starting with oak and adding the apple pieces after you have a good little fire going. Also on a stick burner you don't really need to see smoke to have smoke. Doing a clear burn will work out just fine and you will still taste the smoke. 

Chancy, evening and welcome..... How about a couple pictures of your smoker, firebox and air inlets to the firebox.... we may be able to help you modify it for better control etc.....   Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky