Western brand lump charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawinredneck

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Wichita KS

A buddy brought a bag over for a turkey smoke before Thanksgiving and it went alright for that, but I wanted to try it again before I bragged it up too much. So I picked up two more bags at Atwood's for my smoke yesterday, two 20lb bags for $28. I smoked a 10lb an 8lb brisket and six racks of pork spare ribs in my Brinkmann TMLE, about nine hours in 20-38deg weather, I didn't even use 20lbs of the stuff! 

Temps held steady as long as I stayed on top of it, fed it every hour, it wasn't terribly hard to recover when I let it go to long, unlike Royal Oak, which ran temps all over the place and was a bear to get it caught back up when run low.

Fairly consistent sizes, considering it is lump, which helped with even burning.

Yes, there was a lot of dust and quite a few small particles, I tried lighting it with a chimney, I wouldn't recommend doing this as the small pieces tend to fall out the bottom putting embers everywhere!

Overall, I was really happy with it, and suggest anyone that's had issues and been put off by Royal Oak to give it a try at least once. I sure plan to use it more after my two good experiences.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky