Went for a short cook tonight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mark Adams

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 6, 2018
SC
Since I had a little trouble with temp on my last long cook, I decided to smoke some sausage links and try my luck at a shorter cook. Started with a chimney full of royal oak lump and 3 splits to get a nice bed going. I think my problem last time was the splits were too big for my ok joe and wouldn’t catch quick enough because this time, my smaller splits kept my temps between 250 and 300 the whole cook (with a trip to 315 at the beginning). Now I feel much more confident for long cooks since I was able to get a good system going. And the links turned out great! I did 5 Harris Teeter beer brats and 5 johnsonville limited edition firecracker links.

Attachments

• 26C1735A-C2AF-44FF-9E7B-1A9D0FC73D30.jpeg
    26C1735A-C2AF-44FF-9E7B-1A9D0FC73D30.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: foamheart
They look good from my screen, glad your starting to learn how to use your smoker. Pretty soon we'll be seeing a brisket post.

Chris

Thanks Chris! Brisket was one of the main reasons I got into smoking, I’ve done 2 but the results weren’t good enough to post, haha.

Since I had a little trouble with temp on my last long cook, I decided to smoke some sausage links and try my luck at a shorter cook. Started with a chimney full of royal oak lump and 3 splits to get a nice bed going. I think my problem last time was the splits were too big for my ok joe and wouldn’t catch quick enough because this time, my smaller splits kept my temps between 250 and 300 the whole cook (with a trip to 315 at the beginning). Now I feel much more confident for long cooks since I was able to get a good system going. And the links turned out great! I did 5 Harris Teeter beer brats and 5 johnsonville limited edition firecracker links.

Not knowing your smoking level, but impressed by your attitude, I would like to suggest the best learning tool you can invest in and it shouldn't wipe out the bank. Besides this we is Father's day right?

Find a remote temperature monitoring and alarm system. I have seen 'em as low as 30 bucks. You don't really need a bluetooth model, nor one with 18 different probes. A simple send and receive set which will allow you to do things. Number one, you can test your cookers exact temps whats hot and whats cold.

And second, it allows you the flexibility to take learning to the fast lane. I have been smoking since tending my Pop's firebox, it allows you to screw up and still present not only edible but delicious and tender meals every time.

This is what I use, I have tried a variety and for smoking this is what I still use. Others are more scientific or electronic but to just ensure good food every time, you just can't beat one. I am not saying this one is your answer, just saying look around and find one that fits your level of expertise cause I have one here I still use that was given me over 20 years ago. I say that and you'll get a good example of Chinese electronics and curse me. LOL. go ahead and get a spare probe with whatever you buy also.

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et-72/

You can sleep once you know your monitor will awaken you, walk away and enjoy the day or the party. Mostly it helps you learn smoking faster with less calls to Pizza hut.

Thanks Foam! I did purchase a remote sensor with 2 probes so I can monitor both ends at grate level. It’s so much better being able to walk away and still know what’s going on with the fire. Mine is one of those cheap Chinese ones I’m sure but it works well for me so far

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky