Well my wife is laughing and making fun of old farm ways so i figured some others might get a good l

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bambamok

Original poster
May 29, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
I was bound and determined to smoke a brisket on this cold day here in Oklahoma.  I got to thinking (YOU ASK MY BETTER HALF THAT IS BORDERING ON DANGEROUS) about how i would get the temp up and keep it up to do the job.  This is where my old farm ingenuity from the Allegany foot hills comes in. I have the little red brinkman torpedo as my son calls it.  I decided to take some old scrap lumber and build a frame about 8-12"'s from the smoker.  Then i went to Lowes on a scavenger hunt and located an $18.00 dollar hot water heater blanket and fastened around the smoker.  Meanwhile the brisket is getting seared on all sides on my grill.  Altogether, i spent maybe $30.00 and a half hour of work.  The temp is holding great at 300 degrees which is a little hot and when i take the make shift lid off it drops down to an ultimate 250-275 and maintains it easily. 

When i get the chance a nice frame and trimming it out will be a requirement.  LOL  Not pretty, but it is functional!!!!!!

So get a good laugh the charlie brown heat wrapped brinkman smoker as the wife has now called it.  She won't be complaining when that brisket is gracing her taste buds tomorrow.  Love you my dear wife...I'm a brave man when she isn't standing right here.  ROFLOL

BAMBAM

37f41037_31dec-1.jpg

Hey if it works,use it i don't see anything wrong with it!!!Being a farmer myself we have built many "iffy" things to get a job done.This hillbilly says GOOD JOB!!!!!

Necessity the mother of all inventions! Nothing wrong with a little redneck engineering - especially when it works!
biggrin.gif

Looks like a fine work of engineering there to me
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
  Tomorrow make her say how its a work of art before you let her have any of that brisket
biggrin.gif

Nothing beats a savory brisket on a cold winter day. Perhaps, you can convince your wife to join you in a photo with your work of art? I think that some Q-view may definitely be in order! 
icon_smile.gif

You're in good company. A couple of whacked out fellows over in Nebraska incorporated use of  a rather large kitchen thermometer to our Delux grain dryer door affixed with duct tape to monitor the temps here a couple years ago while parts were on back order. The service folks got a good laugh.  BTW, is that you there in the image with the John Deere? Looks like maybe a 4320 is that right?

Adapt and Overcome. Thats what I hear at work all the time.

Looks like you have done a fine job.

smokermark,

I'm trying to get her in the pic!  LOL  She said something about being placed on the smokers most wanted list.   ROFLOL, just kidding!  BTW, your close on the tractor; that is a JD 4010 and yes that is me.  One of three tractors I learned on when living on the farm in SE New York state.

I got a good laugh out of the posts.  Always a good bunch of people on here. 

BAMBAM

les3176,

I noticed your from my neck of the woods and just west of my hometown of Cuba, New york.  Hope the snow isn't to high.

Happy smoking

BAMBAM

BamBam,

Your posts say you don't actually live anywhere. See upper right corner in your posts.

Bear,

Macungie, PA

smokermark,

I'm trying to get her in the pic!  LOL  She said something about being placed on the smokers most wanted list.   ROFLOL, just kidding!  BTW, your close on the tractor; that is a JD 4010 and yes that is me.  One of three tractors I learned on when living on the farm in SE New York state.

I got a good laugh out of the posts.  Always a good bunch of people on here. 

BAMBAM
Looks really, really nice didn't seem I had the model pegged even with the magnifying glass out!  We have a 4420 with a loader on it still using the tractor. The guy I work with now, his father, brother and him used to collect a lot of tractors together. Every year we take two or three of them out to the farm show with one of the plows and a couple to the country fair for the parade.

We're still waiting on that most wanted mugshot, BAM! 

icon_cool.gif

I would ahve to agree with everyone here and say that your little comtraption looks awesome and it worked I'm sure. I'm also like Jerry (pineywoods) and tell your wife to build one before you gaive her any brisket too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky