Weight of cure # 1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

streetguy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
Dose anyone know what the weight o a teaspoon of cure # 1 is in grams?

NO !!! I have tested the 2 tsp. I have in the baking drawer and there is a 25% difference in weight vs. volume... A GOOD tsp. should weigh in at about 5.2-5.5 grams... The tsp. on the left comes in at ~7.5 grams... if I remember correctly..
An electronic scale can be your friend...

Teaspoons 001.jpg

Thanks Dave that is what my goal is to convert everything to weight measurements instead of volume.

How to check / calibrate your teaspoon using water:
1 teaspoon is supposed to be 4.93 cc
1cc of H2O = 1mL of H2O = 1g of H2O.
Therefore 1 teaspoon of water should weigh 4.93g

Once you see how (in)accurate your teaspoon is, you can toss it, or apply a scaling factor to any recipe you use it for.

But even with an accurate teaspoon, it also matters how tightly packed vs sifted ingredients are.
As an extreme example consider perfectly packed Cure#1:

Density of NaCl = 2.16 g/cc
Density of NaNO2 = 2.17 g/cc
Therefore density of Cure#1 = 2.16 g/cc

1 teaspoon is = 4.93cc

2.16g / 1cc = Xg / 4.93cc;
X=10.65g of Cure #1 per teaspoon

Realistically though, 1 teaspoon Cure#1 will weigh between around 5.5g
That’s a difference of ~50%.

Polish, morning.... when measuring the density of solid materials, the space around the crystals is not included... It's a solid density....
that's why the discrepancy...
Also, depending on the salt manufacturer, volume weights can differ...

Salt Type ..........................................Weight of 1/4 cup (grams

Morton’s Table Salt..................................... 76.0
Morton Pickling Salt.................................... 74.0
La Baleine Coarse Sea Salt.........................66.8
La Baleine Fine Sea Salt............................ 64.8
Morton’s Kosher Salt.................................. 62.0
Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt..................... 45.2
Maldon Sea Salt......................................... 33.2

Hi Dave,
Correct; thanks for making that point.
My calculation was for a theoretical single crystal with dimensions 1.7cm x 1.7cm x 1.7cm (i.e., a volume of 4.93cc).

It was an extreme limiting example, just to illustrate that packing efficiency makes a difference.
It's why different brands and different types of salt will have such different volume to weight ratios.

Last edited:
Reactions: daveomak
Grain size of a particular brand over another brand can make quite a difference in volumetric amounts. For example... Hoosier Hill Farm Prague powder #1 comes in at 4 grams/teaspoon. Butcher Packer pink salt (Cure #1) comes in at 5.9 grams/teaspoon.

Reactions: Fueling Around
That's why I use Diging Dog farms calculator for all my cure mixes.

That's why I use Diging Dog farms calculator for all my cure mixes.
Fair question. What if their site goes offline? I can calculate my cure mix by hand almost as fast as I can use the online calculator. Once you have the meat weight, it literally takes no more than two minutes to calculate your cure#1, salt, and sugar amounts.

Not to hijack but semi related.
How do you vac seal sausage ?
Will it flatten and destroy the casing ?
Had a friend give me some and need to save a link for later.

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky