% Weight loss ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

olecrosseyes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 16, 2007
Hawkeye State, DSM
In a brisket after separating the point (for burnt ends) and the flat (for slicing), doing no trimming of the fat cap prior to or after the smoking process, how much weight loss is there in a packer from start to finish?

Last edited:
Well, I don't have much of an answer, but I'm seeing a Hawk logo as your avatar!  Too bad we played like crap last night - 15% from 3 pt land, terrible on free throws - and lost to OSU.

I thought I had a thread somewhere on here about weight loss from raw to cooked pulled pork, but I couldn't locate it.

Anyways, Go Hawks!

Hopefully you are staying warm and after the 6" of snow that Des Moines supposedly got last night, keep safe on the roads!

6" is not supposedly and more on the weekend after we get done blowing our selves out again after the wind we are getting for the next couple of days. But hey, we are not NY area either.
77.gif
I think they are getting what we got 4 years ago!

We're pretty stanch Hawkeyes here at the house.  The do not belong in the top 25 in my opinion. Ya, ya , ya I know "shut up my mouth"! 
police2.gif

As far as pork butt being similar to brisket in weight loss, hummm, I would think pork could loos more by a bit, not sure.

My question still is approx. what percent would you expect? Lets expand it to pork butts as well.

6" is not supposedly and more on the weekend after we get done blowing our selves out again after the wind we are getting for the next couple of days. But hey, we are not NY area either.
77.gif
I think they are getting what we got 4 years ago!

We're pretty stanch Hawkeyes here at the house.  The do not belong in the top 25 in my opinion. Ya, ya , ya I know "shut up my mouth"! 
police2.gif

As far as pork butt being similar to brisket in weight loss, hummm, I would think pork could loos more by a bit, not sure.

My question still is approx. what percent would you expect? Lets expand it to pork butts as well.
I think they do belong in the top 25, but if they have shooting nights like last night, they won't make it far come March.  The team lives and dies by Aaron White (as much as people think it's Marble...who I'm not a huge fan of), and if he is only putting up 5-8 points, we aren't going to win.  He needs to have an offensive presence and a touch every time down the court, excluding fast breaks.

Okay, done ranting.

Back to smoking.

I've never cooked a brisket, so I'm not sure.  I want to say that when I did a large pork butt smoke, which consisited of 125-130 lb raw weight smoked down to about 83-85 cooked weight.  Again, not sure I'm remembering the numbers exactly, but I know it was a HUGE decrease.  I think on this site most will say you'll lose at least 25% raw weight pounds versus cooked weight on pork butts.

Any one got thoughts ~~In a brisket after separating the point (for burnt ends) and the flat (for slicing), doing no trimming of the fat cap prior to or after the smoking process, how much weight loss is there in a packer from start to finish? Or even for a pork butt?

Around 50%. Didn't think it would be. But that has been what I see. Was glad I was told that before. Search on here for catering amounts needed. That was where I saw it. I have been told by a restaurant owner I could lose up to 60% on brisket. On the farm fresh ones I don't but they are pre trimmed. The one store bought packer was around 50%

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky