Weekend brisket & burnt ends. Qview galore!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Picked up a full packer at Wally World last week. It was a big boy, just over 14 lbs. I trimmed it up, just over 4 lbs. of fat and separated the point from the flat. I soaked the flat, point, & the fat in a marinade for 24 hours. It was just a simple marinade consisting of: Beef broth, Yoshida's, Worsty, onion & garlic powder, & CBP. After the marinade I rubbed it down with: Br. sugar, garlic & onion powder, CBP, & Tone's Montreal steak seasoning. I put the rub on the fat too. Back in the fridge for about 5 hours. Fired up the WSM around 7:30 PM Sat. night. Set it to run at 210 degrees. I put the point & the flat on the bottom rack. Then put all 4 lbs. of the fat on the top rack so it would baste the brisket all night while I slept. About 12 hours later on Sunday morning I checked on them & the point was around 180 & the flat was at 186. I foiled the flat with some beer & took the point off to cube up for burnt ends. Cubed it & tossed in BBQ sauce & back on the smoker for a couple of hours. The flat took about 4 more hours to get to 205. I took it off & wrapped it in towels for 2 more hours. We decided that since the smoker was already fired up, why not make a batch of BBQ sauce & some beans, so I added about 1/2 chimney of unlit charcoal to the fire & put the beans & BBQ sauce on. Kept them on for 4 more hours. It was a long day, but well worth it. The brisket was very tender & moist. The pictures don't really show the color of the meat. It appears that it has a thin smoke ring, but the meat was pink all the way to the center. Here's some pics, hope you enjoy them. 

This is the packer I started with:

b9a54810_4-2-111.jpg

Another look:

2acc4278_4-2-112.jpg

Here it is after I trimmed it & separated it, and marinated it for the 24 hours:

338920c1_4-2-113.jpg

Rubbed down & ready to go:

5bc50bfc_4-2-114.jpg

On the WSM on the bottom rack:

7c15fe8a_4-2-115.jpg

Then the seasoned fat on the top rack:

a148709c_4-2-116.jpg

Here's the fat all rendered out in the morning,sorry the pic is a little blurry.

4b83b296_4-2-117.jpg

Here's a shot of the briskets just before I probed them.

137998d5_4-2-118.jpg

Put the probes in only to find out that there just about ready to foil (flat) & cube (point).

7462270e_4-2-119.jpg

Here's the point I pulled it at 180.

321461c4_4-2-1110.jpg

I wish the photo was better because the meat is pinkish all the way through:

fc510cbf_4-2-1112.jpg

Cubed it up & mixed with some BBQ sauce:

01c8450a_4-2-1113.jpg

Then back on the grill, got rid of the fat on the top rack. Fed it to the fish in the pond behind the house:

22c47447_4-2-1114.jpg

The burnt ends are done:

cc1ab33d_4-2-1116.jpg

Toss with a little more BBQ sauce & keep hot till dinner:

1493ca8e_4-2-1116.1.jpg

Need to add about 1/2 chimney of unlit charcoal because we decided to smoke some BBQ sauce & a batch of beans, this is the contraption I made to get the charcoal into the middle of the ring:

6d20ace1_4-2-1115.jpg

On go the beans and BBQ sauce:

22b71b0b_4-2-1117.jpg

The brisket is done:

9ca57dc2_4-2-1120.jpg

So are the beans & BBQ sauce:

79d34054_4-2-1119.jpg

Time to slice the brisket:

1a8f8620_4-2-1121.jpg

It's hard to see in the photo's but the meat is a beautiful pink color:

7489862c_4-2-1122.jpg

You can see how juicy it is in the next photo:

6fd1357a_4-2-1123.jpg

Nothing left but making a sammie. Brisket, BBQ sauce, provolone, & cole slaw, on a Publix bakery roll.

20f70607_4-2-1124.jpg

No beans or burnt ends left. Some friends stopped over & we had them for snacks. Split this sammie with Judy. You can see the brisket is just falling apart. I probably sliced it too thin, but it does just melt in your mouth:

e9d65efd_4-2-1125.jpg

Thank you all for looking, hope you enjoyed it.

Glorious!!!!!!!

Great pics too!

Craig

OMG !!!

That has got to be one of the best threads I've ever seen!

Everything looks absolutely Perfect!!!!!

Man, I wish I was there for some of that!!!

Bear

Thanks, Bear & Craig. I wish you were here to taste it too Bear.

looks pretty darn good! I am drooling over here looking at those burnt ends! by the way I dig your charcoal slide that thing is genius haha.

Al,
241.png
 everything looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for the Q-view! I see a first time brisket thread in my near future
icon_mrgreen.gif

Dang I dont know how I missed this thread - All I can say is WOW nice job Al - Man I wish I could get a taste of that.

this is worthy of a Wiki.

Any problem slicing the brisket at 205°?

It sliced real easy, I should have sliced it a bit thicker, because when we started handling it it started to fall apart.

looks pretty darn good! I am drooling over here looking at those burnt ends! by the way I dig your charcoal slide that thing is genius haha.
Thanks, the charcoal slide is just a piece of stove pipe riveted onto the chimney!

Nice job!  I see you like a "little cheese".  You can make my sandwich any time.

Good luck and good smoking!
Thanks, Merv

Al, this post is really a thing of beauty...I'm inspired to go do some brisket now.  That pan of BBQ looks awesome.
Thank-you, & yes the burnt ends really make a great snack while your waiting to slice the brisket.

drool.gif
   WOW Al!!  I'm not a huge brisket lover but you could convert me with that!!
Thanks Terry, I actually prefer brisket to pork, but I do smoke a lot of butts & ribs.

That looks fantastic. Now I'm starving. I could use one of those sandwiches and a cold brew right about now.  
Thank-you, nothing goes better with brisket than a nice cold beer!

Al,
241.png
 everything looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for the Q-view! I see a first time brisket thread in my near future
icon_mrgreen.gif
Thanks, I'll look forward to that Qview of your first brisket.

Nice smoke Al,

Brisket looks yummy. lately I have not been getting a deep smoke ring either.
Thanks, actually the smoke ring went all the way to the center. It wasn't real red, but the whole brisket had a pink color. I wish I had a better camera, because when I cut into it I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Looks great Al. I like how you put the sauce on the smoker too
Thanks Man, I started putting the sauce on the smoker about 1 year ago. It gives it a nice smoky flavor.

Dang I dont know how I missed this thread - All I can say is WOW nice job Al - Man I wish I could get a taste of that.
Thanks, Gary

I wish you could taste it too. Maybe someday we will be able to email food.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky