weekend away!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kiska95

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 2, 2015
Hi

I wonder if you boys in the higher echelons of this wonderful BBQ fantasy world can give a bit of a heads up to us new starters out there.

In the "other" BarberVoldermotQ (he that should not be named) forum I asked if they were any informal "get togethers" so people like me could garner info and learn the magic art from the more experienced BBQ wizards and got Nada. Wade graciously came back by PM and mentioned that a meeting of the SMF bbq magic circle is being held in the hidden woodlands at Woodhall Spa and is taking place on the 31st July.

Now being shy and bashful
xrocker.gif
 I wondered if its......................

1. Special invite only? And if invited is it..

2. Casual shorts and flip-flop's or BBQ black tie and apron?

3. If you cant transport any BBQ cooking gear what would you bring?

4. Whilst dipping your bread in another mans gravy may be OK for some what can one contribute rather than freeloading?

5. I have see some of your me and you's and fear that you have all gone to great expense to put the show on the road so if an invitation is proffered what is etiquette to bring? meat, charcoal, booze or contribute a few sheckles to alleviate some of the financial burden?

looking forward to your advices
drool.gif

Hi Brian

If the BBQ weekend requires a black tie then that counts me out. Danny, I know that you are probably confused at this point but I will explain to you what a "tie" is later. 

It is definitely a shorts and t-shirt event - flips-flops are optional though. All contributing members on here are invited and so are their other halves.

The format of the event is roughly...

Most are turning up on the Friday but others may just attend for the Saturday. We all share some wine and beer and, either get to know each other for the first time, or catch up from last year.

It is a celebration of all things BBQ. It is not a competition. Some of us cook on the day and others bring things that were prepared in advance. Several of us bring BBQs/smokers and so if you cannot bring your own then let us know in advance and we can free up some space for you.

We try to get a good mix of foods - beef, pork, chicken, fish etc and a good selection of sides. We would all like a good variety of dishes and so we try to coordinate in advance. If we do get some duplicate then that isn't a problem, but we want to ensure that we done end up with a feast entirely consisting of chicken wings and potato salad.

We all muck in during the day on Saturday and get things cooking / prepared, ready for a shared table feast at around 4pm - by which time quite a bit of wine and beer will probably have been consumed.

If you cannot contribute to the food then a contribution to the refreshments stock would be good too. 

Some of us bring the tables, chairs, gazebos, refrigerated trailer etc so they are covered.

You are very welcome if you can make it and we are just there to enjoy a selection of good food and share experiences with friends.

Cheers

Wade

Hi Wade

Thank you very much Wade it would be a pleasure to "meat" all of you and thanks for the explanation no doubt others will pick up on this thread and have a little more info.

The only other Ties I know of are Hog, Bolo and Texas hold em?

I've got the time off work and my neighbour/best mate and BBQ nut is "Tight Arse Terry" (from Portsmouth, all gob and tattoo's !Lol!) said he might make the trip too (skinny wives not into BBQ just wine!!!!!!!) so we may just show with a few surprises.

Thanks

Brian

Most of the wives who attend are not into it either and are there under sufferance - and to keep us under control 
wife.gif

TIE???  What tha HE**??  Waitin for your PM Wade.  Me make fire!  Me cook meat!!

Brian!  Bring your arse up here for the weekend!  I'll get you a beer and Wade can show you some tricks on smoking meat.  I hear he makes good burgers and sausages and that his cucumber sandwiches "are to die for".  You now the ones,  in little triangles with the crust cut off.  He is a bit obsessive, compulsive.  He does insist that if you are having a cup of tea you MUST stick your little finger out.  We love him anyway.  Bless him.

Danny

TIE???  What tha HE**??  Waitin for your PM Wade.  Me make fire!  Me cook meat!!

Brian!  Bring your arse up here for the weekend!  I'll get you a beer and Wade can show you some tricks on smoking meat.  I hear he makes good burgers and sausages and that his cucumber sandwiches "are to die for".  You now the ones,  in little triangles with the crust cut off.  He is a bit obsessive, compulsive.  He does insist that if you are having a cup of tea you MUST stick your little finger out.  We love him anyway.  Bless him.

Danny
Danny waiting for food last year

Just give me my rocking chair Ethan !!

Hi Brian, sorry I have been missing lots of threads lately, got the old problem back where I am not getting my Daily Update Email.

Right here we go, http://www.uk-smf.co.uk

This is a link to UK-SMF a, it's just a website set up for info on the weekend.

Get yourself up here, would be great to meet.

Wade has already filled you in on "Etiquette"

Smokin Monkey

Oh, now this sounds interesting. I've checked the campsite and the bookings form says fully booked [emoji]128542[/emoji].

Although until I check the diary (her who must be obeyed), I don't actually know if we're free this weekend. Looks good fun though, especially for a noobs like me.

Oh, now this sounds interesting. I've checked the campsite and the bookings form says fully booked [emoji]128542[/emoji].

Although until I check the diary (her who must be obeyed), I don't actually know if we're free this weekend. Looks good fun though, especially for a noobs like me.

Hi just phoned the site and they said they have plenty avaiabilty still, if you have problem call them on 01526 3537107, they will sort you out!

Smokin Monkey

Thanks Smokin'

I'm stuck in an exam room so couldn't use a phone.

Fingers crossed the other half has nothing arranged.

Although she's a non meat eater (okay with fish and seafood), so she may not be interested.

Last edited:
She will be well catered for, I know from the menus that Wades doing Smoked Salmon hot and cold.

Smokewood is doing Cedar Plank Salmon and Stuffed Peppers.

Tell her, that this is a great chance for you to learn New Techniques so you can cook her the things she likes (reverse psychology)

The folks at the camp site are VERY helpful.  Just let them know you are here for the smokers weekend and they will help sort you.  Of course they also get an invite to the Saturday "feast".  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Hi just a quicky where is the rendezvous point at the campsite?

Yes. As you arrive, ask at the gate where Danny's pitch is and they will tell you. We have reserved an adjacent pitch for use as SMF Smoking Central. Once you get yourself settled in, make your way across and make yourself known. Danny and Annette will be there from Thursday and he will have a UK Smokers banner somewhere near his caravan. Not everyone will be located together, some of us will be in other parts of the site. It isn't a massive site though and no pitches will be more than a two minute walk away.

Pick something that you would like to try to cook and we can give you some help and advice as you smoke it for the first time. You may want to let us know what it is in advance though 
icon14.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky