Weber Vortex Size

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matty gunns

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 30, 2017
Hey guys. Pretty sure I am gonna pull the trigger on a Owens bbq Weber vortex. I have a 22” kettle I plan on using it with, possibly my 18.5 WSM but doubtful. Just wanted to know what size guys went with for their grill. Website says medium but I would think a small would be better for room on the grill. I appreciate anyone sharing their experience. Thanks

I had the same question when I purchased a vortex for my Weber 22" grill, gmc2003 gmc2003 recommended that I get the medium which I did. I sometimes move my vortex off to the side, instead of keeping it in the center of the grill, when I need more room.

Reactions: gmc2003
I got a medium for my 22.5 and initially I thought it took up too much space, but a beer can chicken fits down in it perfectly. I'll try gator's idea next time I want more grill space.
Once you've made wings you'll never go back to however you used to do them..

I gots to know. What is a vortex and how does it work? Will it work with other grills outside of kettles, or is it Weber specific? What does it do to make wings so special? Thanks

I gots to know. What is a vortex and how does it work? Will it work with other grills outside of kettles, or is it Weber specific? What does it do to make wings so special? Thanks

makes really high high indirect heat. You always get perfect skinon wings or chicken. Like stayed above. I got one and will always have one. It has something to do with the way the kettle is and heat rolling from the lot I think. But try it you’ll love it. Here is a pic of wings set up with one

Attachments

• E6E45A17-5F3D-4EDD-99A6-5D888697BD12.jpeg
    E6E45A17-5F3D-4EDD-99A6-5D888697BD12.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: chef jimmyj
I'm planning on getting a Weber Premier 22 in the next few weeks. I will have to consider adding a Vortex. Seems a lot of folks suggest the Slow and Sear is somewhat better. Opinions?...JJ

I'm planning on getting a Weber Premier 22 in the next few weeks. I will have to consider adding a Vortex. Seems a lot of folks suggest the Slow and Sear is somewhat better. Opinions?...JJ
I just bought my first weber this year and was in the same boat as you. Not wanting to drop money on both right away and to get a feel for both devices I went with this. It actually has worked perfect for me using it as a vortex and a slow and sear.

I have multiple Weber kettle grills - all 22 inch. I am 45 years old and the only grill I have ever owned is a standard sized Weber. My dad taught me to cook on it and I have never changed. He used to insist on 45 Kingsford briquettes built into a pyramid, douse it with fluid, let it set 5 minutes and then light it. Over the years, I have learned to use different amounts of charcoal for different purposes now and arrange them differently according to what I cook, but I am very familiar with the grill. It will do all of the basics.
I do not have a Slow and Sear. I do have a Vortex.
The Vortex is amazing. I was skeptical because all it is is a volcano shaped piece of stainless steel metal that has been spot welded together, but it works like the hype says it does. The way it funnels super high heat through a kettle grill is incredible. You will get crispy chicken skin.
I don't "get" the concept of the slow and sear, but that could be how I was taught to cook steaks.
My method is hot and fast and then let it rest.

I have both Slow N Sear and the Vortex. Vortex is collecting dust in the smoking shed. Love the Slow N Sear. With the Vortex in the middle, it takes up very valuable grill space. Yes for chicken wings and similar items which you can spread around the Vortex. Bigger items such as chuck roasts, Meat loafs, etc, just don't have the room.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky